Days that End in Why

[Monday]

<Billy>

Stepping into the store for his shift on Monday, William could tell that it was going to be hell.  He walked into silence.  No greeting from the cashier at the register.  No sound of items being rung up for customers during their sale.  William heard nothing.  The air in the store felt still and heavy as he headed to the time clock to punch in and all of his coworkers all seemed to avoid him during the trek from the front door to the office.  As he opened the door he was not expecting what was waiting for him.

What awaited him was Melissa, standing in the back with her arms crossed in front of her, with a look that looked angry and apologetic at the same time.

"Look, the way I acted during our date was wrong.  I just get jealous easy and I want all of your attention when we date."

"Yeah… I'm sorry.  It has just been forever since I actually had a date and well it was not what I expected to happen."

"So Willie, can we try again?  Possibly next week?  You and me and just dinner?"

"That sounds reasonable.  Tuesday at Olive Garden?"

"How did you know my weakness to pasta good Sir?  You definitely know the way to a girl's heart."

And with a wink, William started his day full of angry customers and unrealistic expectations.

<Kimberly's POV>

As Kim arrived at school on Monday, something felt off.  Lance wasn't at their usual spot for their routine of a well needed kiss and a hug.  As she stood and waited her "sister", Rose Moore, rushed over and grabbed her hand.

"Moore!  What are you doing?  Let go!"

"You have to see this!  You're gonna flip!"

As they rounded the corner of the building, they saw Lance's truck at the drop off circle and exiting the passenger side was Brittany Basset, the head cheerleader of Utica High.  She definitely had a reputation.  Rumors went around that half of the school had known of her special talents, and that included faculty members.  Seeing her coming out of Lance's truck set her off.  

Before anyone could get in between them, Kimberly grabbed Brittany and smashed her head against the side of the truck denting the door.  Before she could do any more damage, Kimberly was pulled off by 3 people.

"Kimmy!  What did you do?"

"What did I do?  What did YOU do!  Having that skank in your truck?  Is that how you wanna be after 18 years of friendship?  After 3 years together?  What the hell Lance!"

The sounds of her shouting at Lance filled the hallway leading to the principal's office.

<Lance's POV>

On Lance's way to school, he stopped by Brittany's place for a little "wake me up" as he calls it.  Brittany didn't talk about the guys she messed with so Lance was always going to her place whenever he needed or whenever Kimberly was fighting with him.  For a girl who opened her mouth as much as Brittany, it was good that she kept her mouth shut about that.  

Kim made me so mad lately, spending most of her time with that jerk, Billy, online in that chat room.  She should be worshipping the ground I walk on like she did when we first got together.  I knew what she had done and how that money she made was going to her family.  I just wanted what was mine, her.  So when Brittany asked for a ride to school while her dad put her car in the shop, I couldn't waste this opportunity.  

I did not expect Rose and her boyfriend to see us pulling onto school property.  I knew I was going to catch hell from Kim because Brittany used to be one of her best friends during her freshman year but I can handle that.  What I didn't expect was for Kim to dent my truck with Brittany's head.  My parents were going to kill me for the damage.