Part 16

I had less than an hour to get ready to the ball. I took a quick shower and put on the silver dress. I styled my hair in a braid crown with a third of it falling down to my back and made up my face with gentle colors. I wore the silver shoes Azula lent me and left my room, practically running to catch up to Azula before she was presented into the ball. She stopped me and let me catch my breath.

"what took you so long?" I decided not to let her know about the 15 minutes I spent in front of my mirror, fantasizing about prince Zuko. It was the first time I thought of someone that way and I was quite embarrassed about it. The fire lord and prince Zuko walked towards us from the other direction, the prince stopped when he saw me. The fire lord kept on going.

"Katara, you clean up very well" He stopped.

"isn't this your dress, Azula?" He added.

"it is, but I never liked silver. She looks better in it anyway" the fire lord shrugged his shoulders and offered his hand to Azula. She took it reluctantly and signaled me to get out there to tell the announcer to announce them. I picked up the edge of my dress and ignored prince Zuko as he approached me, I disappeared through the curtain and went quickly down the few stairs to let the announcer know.

"presenting, fire lord Iroh. Princess Azula, and fire prince Zuko" the fire lord and Azula went past the curtain together, with the prince closely behind. They waved to the crowd, who bowed to them, and descended the stairs. I found Mai and Ty-Lee and gave them their lily bouquets, for the wedding soon enough. Prince Zuko was following me as I went from one servant to another to make sure they're okay, I was aware of his presence so close behind me, but I didn't let him get too close as to touch me. I knew that if I let him, I would never be able to let him go. a girl eventually stopped him from following me, I was grateful to her, though I didn't know who she was. She was his first dance, and I used this chance to quickly get the wedding over and done with. Mai and Ty-Lee were very happy and joined the second dance, Azula went back to dancing with random guys that offered her a dance and the fire lord seemed just as amused as he was before the wedding. I bumped into Jin again. She was alone, and arguing with her sisters, who all married into court or nobility and were there that night.

"Jin, there you are, prince Zuko is looking everywhere for you" I called. Jin smiled at me and walked away from her sisters, following me to the dance floor.

"why did you help me?"

"I think the prince is stressed, and I know you pleasuring him always kills his stress" I led Jin out to the gardens, where prince Zuko was, turning the girl he danced his first dance tonight down. Jin stopped me.

"I thought you said I shouldn't eat him or have sex with him anymore, and I can't soil this dress, it's borrowed"

"what his future wife doesn't know won't kill her. I assume you're hungry" Jin nodded in agreement before thanking me.

"no problem, just make sure he's preoccupied for the next few minutes" Jin agreed again and we kept on walking. The girl the prince danced with was on her knees, hugging his knees and begging him to dance with her again.

"Ms., if I may, there are many more people to dance with tonight, I heard the fire lord is itching to dance" I said. the girl got up and ran into the ballroom, the prince smiled and took a step towards me, Jin stopped him.

"Jin, I thought I told you I will never marry you"

"I know that. I noticed you were stressed, and I know the perfect way to relieve that stress" Jin got on her knees and started to unbutton his pants. He looked at me as I put a hand on Jin's shoulder.