Chapter 44

✰ Roman ✰

Roman

"𝐁𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞"

"When?"

"Nine am, tomorrow morning."

Lacing my hand through my hair, I look towards the black sky.

"Angelo Malik brought—

A loud thud sounded from inside the restroom next to me, cutting off my father's voice.

Turning around, I listened again and heard yet another noise, this time the sound of coughing.

I hung up and tossed the phone into my pocket while starting to turn the doorknob, only to find it locked.

"Arabella?" I called, and all I got was coughing in response.

"Fuck," I grumbled as I turned the knob and pushed open the door, lifting my leg to the threshold.

The door burst open after two attempts, and my vision was obscured by fog. I searched for Arabella while skimming through the fog and immediately thought my eyes were fucking with me once I found her.

I rushed over, crouched down, and picked up the unconscious girl off the ground.

When I returned outside, I placed her on the pavement and placed my fingers around her neck. When there was no pulse, I physically felt my heart stop.

"Cazzo," I mumbled as I straddled her and began to pump with both hands on her chest.

While my heart pounded wildly, I pumped her chest and blew air into her mouth, continuing the process.

"Come on Ella," I grunted, pulsating my mouth to hers once more. I pumped harder, and she miraculously breathed.

She gasped for oxygen as she sat up, immediately I got off her and moved over to her side, helping her sit up.

She coughed forcefully and I rubbed her back gently to help her breathe.

Her eyes welled up with tears as she regained control of her breathing, her body leaning on my side as she recovers.

I hugged her closer to me and put my lips to her temple. Her breathing evened out, and she frightenedly turned her head towards me.

"Roman, I—" Her eyes watered as she shook her head and furrowed her brows together.

"You're safe now, Ella," I whispered into her ear to calm her down. She was in shock and I didn't blame her.

She buried her head in my chest while clutching my shirt tightly.

"Someone tried to gas—," Her hands trembled beneath me as she came to a halt and took a long breath.

"Can we leave please," She pleaded, and I nodded.