Chapter 2: Mine.

A/N: for the sake of the story lets just pretend the song she's going to sing wasn't written by Megan Nicole. She's amazing check her out on YouTube by the way.

~~~~~~

"Mrs. Rose!" I exclaimed jumping up from my seat to hug the old lady.

Mrs. Rose was the owner of Aunt Betty's and was practically a grandmother to us. She had white hair, blue eyes and wrinkles all over but had the energy of a teenager making you wonder if she was her age.

"I was beginning to think you had forgotten all about me." She said mockingly into my ear still keeping me in an iron grip. I chuckled patting her gently on her back before letting her go. She released me only to keep her hands on my shoulders to keep me in place in front of her.

"Forget you? Never." I say making her eyes twinkle. "I mean who would make me my bacon cheese burger with extra cheese?" I add making her give me the stink eye. I chuckle raising my arms in defense. "Kidding." She hums raising her eyebrow before getting serious.

"I mean seriously Sophie you're the only one who hasn't visited me. Mia here comes in sometimes and Claire has been coming her recently with a boy. Who might I add is very smitten with her." She says winking at the end.

I freeze at her words and I know my reaction said it all. "Claire's been coming her?" I ask quietly. Mrs. Rose's face changes quickly to concerned as she pulls up a chair from another table and sits down beckoning me to do the same.

Grabbing my hands she looks at me. "Has something been going on between you two? Every time I ask her about you she says you're fine and you're both been doing great. Short answers nothing more. And right now when I asked you and told you about her you seemed shocked." She asks concerned. "Why?"

I stay silent for a minute before looking at the table. "Claire hasn't talked to me all Summer. I haven't even been able to get a hold of her. She doesn't reply and the times I've gone to her house she's not there."

My voice is absent of all emotion but it seems desperate. And I am. Why couldn't she just call me?! Anything to let me know she was fine and would be busy!

"Oh sweetie. I didn't know. Next time she comes I'll be giving her a stern talking to her." I hear Mrs. Rose say and when I look up I see her I see determination in her eyes.

"But enough of that. Tonight you're going to have fun with Mia here. And I know just how." She says tapping my hand making look at her and she has a mischievous look in her eyes.

I narrow my eyes at her. Mrs. Rose planning something was never good. "How?" I ask cautiously.

"Karaoke!" She exclaims throwing her hands in the air. "I haven't heard your voice in the longest and I've been dying to hear it dearie. The mic is always open for you." She tells me smiling.

I smile lazily before looking over at Mia who's giving me a thumbs up. "Do it. Come on you need to have fun. And you know you sing amazing." She says convincing me.

"Fine." I say making Mia squeal and Mrs. Rose cheer. I laugh.

"Go get ready while I tell announce you to everyone." She says getting up.

I quickly go back stage where the DJ is and I tell him which background music I want him to play. I'd written a song this summer and made music to go along with it. He nods welcoming me back and I grin giving him a thumbs up before I hear Mrs. Rose.

"Please welcome one of our regular guests and singers. Some of you may know her, Miss Sophie Winter." I hear say into the mike. I hear people cheer making me step out.