Chapter 18

Sue walked out of the kitchen and leaned on the frame. "Thank you for bringing him back." She said. I nod, grabbing the remote.

"Leah!" Sue calls. Seth bounced onto the loveseat with me. "Come here." Seth leans into my shoulder and closes his eyes.

I could hear Leah grumbling. Leah crosses her arms and groans. "Yes?" She asks lazily. Sue gestures to the loveseat where we are sitting.

She perks up. "April. Hey. When did you get here?" I grunt as I sit up.

"Didn't you hear me yelling I was staying the night, and I brought your brother back?"

"No. Not really."

"Clearly," I mumble. "Get your ears checked, Tarzan."

She rolls her eyes. "Never understood why you called me Tarzan."

"Remember the time you jumped off the cliff or the time you crashed your dirt bike in the tree or the time you-" She covered my mouth. "I get it."

She gestures to the half-asleep fourteen-year-old. "Why is Seth here? I thought you were having a night at your house."

I shrug. "Dad said I could have a sleepover. So I came." I explained.

"That's what she said." Leah whispered. I giggled.

Harry glanced toward his open bedroom door, back at us, then glances back at the door.

"I have some things to take care of in my room. Good night, children." He says before speed walking into his room.

Sue rolls her eyes before grabbing a tray off the counter. "If you're hungry, there are some snacks here."

Sue maneuvers the tray in a way so it is parallel to the counter edge before grabbing the keys and walking out the door. "I'm going to Billy's. I'll be back before ten."

She shut the door before we started laughing for no reason. "Be right back."

I unlock the car and hear a rustle in the bushes to my left. My eyes dart to the left.

I see a bunch of green with a single silver patch standing out before disappearing. I shrug and then curse myself for being stupid.

What were you thinking? It's Washington! There are rabbits and stuff. Just get the pizza and stop making a fool of yourself.

I grab the pizza from the backseat and lock the doors, walking back inside.

"Oh. Pizza!" Seth exclaims upon seeing my entry.

"You just ate pizza like 25 minutes ago." I snicker. Leah leans forward, grabbing the coffee table to lift herself up.

"With him, it doesn't matter how long it's been. This demon will eat almost anything."

"I don't eat anchovies or Brussel sprouts." He said, lifting his head from the box.

"Nobody does, kid," I tell him. Turning back to the twenty-year-old, I place my hand on her arm.

Seth lets out a sound similar to a choking chicken.

"Can I help you?" I ask with an amused smile. He places his hand on his chest and coughs.

"Are you gay?" He asks bluntly.

"What?" Leah and I say in unison.

He sighs as if he were talking to tiny children. "Do you prefer the same gender as yourself?"

"When did you talk so grownup? Maybe I do. So what of it?" I reply.

"You placed your hand on her arm." He states, his arm swinging lazily in front of him.

"Yeah. So?" Leah says.

He blinks at me. "Why?"

"I was going to talk to her quietly. Calmly and comfortingly."

"To profess your love for her. Right?" He asks, the excitement in his eyes becoming more apparent.

I shake my head. "Dang it!"

I stare at him in shock. He notices this and widens his eyes. He eases away slowly.

"I mean," He states quickly. "You two are gross." Crossing his arms over his chest, he runs into his room. He runs back towards us, grabs the pizza box, gives us a brief hug, and runs back to his room.

Leah rolls her eyes. She drops onto the couch, claiming her legs hurt. "If this is about Sam, save it." She sounded as if one more word of her ex-fiancé would kill her.

"Well. I was going to suggest we egg Sam's house but I'll save it as you said." Leah shoots up.

"Egg his house? We can't do that. Without Seth. Dad, where are the eggs!" She half sprints to the fridge, looking around. She looks at the bottom shelf first. I make my way to Seth's room.

"By the milk." Harry answers. I knock on his door. He feared having his door closed. I hit my fist on the wooden door gently so I didn't scare him.

"Get your shoes and coat on," I tell him. "Why?"

"So you don't catch a cold. We're going to be outside for about an hour." I explain. 

"Why?" He repeats. 

"You'll find out soon."