Bear 16

You smell good.

Marsh stared down at the panicked chicken in his hands as he sat hunched inside one of the two huge coops.

It had been a few weeks since Walker's mother had left. The two brothers had been good at keeping raw meat on hand, but they'd forgotten to defrost it for today, and neither were awake when his bear wanted a snack.

But he might be mad.

He set the hen back down, but then lifted its struggling body up again... then sat it down again.

I want to eat you, but Walker might be mad.

Granted, there were a lot of chickens. Surely he wouldn't be too upset if just one was savagely disemboweled and eaten in front of its brethren?

He... still might be mad.

"I do believe you're going to give that poor girl a heart attack if you keep looking at her like that, my friend," came a deep voice from over by the fence-line.

Ah, Ranger's lover.

After reluctantly releasing his quarry, Marsh slowly climbed out of the coop area and stood up, brushing off some of the dried poop and dust that had clung to his black sweatpants and Walker's too-big AC/DC sweatshirt.

He remembered the guy, slightly. His name was Heian, and he was a horse shifter that he'd tried to eat when he'd been invited over by Walker's mother.

I just wanted a nibble. He smells so good.

His stomach growled just thinking about it, making his shoed feet take him closer to the taller man. He stopped a few feet away, on the other side of the fence. Instinct told him to try and chase his prey, but it also told him to be extremely cautious. He didn't have his bear form available anymore, but the man definitely had his horse. Stallions, or really adult horses in general, weren't usually worth the effort. A well-placed kick was not something to laugh at.

"You're a cutie, but I can tell that you aren't quite used to being in this kind of setting. If you don't mind me asking, where did you happen to come from?"

Cute...

Scowling, Marsh pointed toward the trees to his left without looking away from the other man.

"Ah, so you really were trying to eat me. That's not very nice," Heian said as he finally hopped up onto the fence, sitting with his legs hanging down nonchalantly. The man was dressed for a day of riding in the brisk morning weather with the same black cowboy hat from last time situated on his smooth, long hair. There were no braids this time, though. He also sported a leather jacket that went just a little ways past his waist and hung open to reveal a dark blue shirt underneath. His legs were covered in worn jeans, of course. This time it was a pitch black pair that settled neatly over his light brown cowboy boots.

Looking down at his own plain clothes, Marsh actually thought about what Walker would think if he saw him wearing actual nice clothing. It was just a fleeting thought, though, and he quickly shook it from his mind as he looked back up.

The cloud of drowsiness that had settled in his mind due to hibernation had cleared a good bit over the past month or so, though he wasn't sure why. He always hibernated for the entire winter, but perhaps his bear was content with the amount of food it was constantly receiving and felt safe in its bed-den. Either way, he was able to at least focus on conversations and, mostly, walk without wobbling.

"Are you here to take the other predator? You can have him now," Marsh said as he looked toward the house for a moment before returning his attention to a chuckling Heian.