Bear 9

"Heian," Ranger grumbled as he stared at the stall door, a bit shocked at the man's sudden appearance. 

He hadn't seen him in quite a while, and even before that, the guy tended to keep to himself. He was a Chinese-American who had inherited the neighboring property from his immigrant father when he'd passed. He took after his Dutch mother is some of his looks, but still had the silky black straight hair from his Chinese father, and he gladly kept it long. 

His realtor was quite the nosy person and had known the man's father for quite a while. 

Ranger had barely said but a few greetings to his neighbor over their few years living next to each other, and even less acknowledgements when Ranger brought his horse back to his own paddock. They did eventually exchange numbers because of the horse continuing to frequent his fields, but now he felt like an idiot for giving it to the guy. 

Not like he's ever called you, though. 

He paused for a moment, then scowled. 

So each of those times I've had to deal with that black stallion, it had been you...

Annoyed and ready to give the guy a piece of his mind, Ranger smacked his hand away from his belly and spun around... only to come face to face with a horse. 

"That's not funny. Change back, Heian." 

The horse's nostrils flared, taking in a deep breath as it pressed its muzzle against Ranger's hair. He swatted it away, of course, then shoved the door open and stomped out. He could hear it following him at a distance, but he decided to just ignore again. If the guy didn't want to tell him why he was freaking following him around, then so be it. He could take himself home when he got tired of bugging him. 

Actually...

Turning, he eyed the animal as it slowed to a stop. Seemingly wary now, the horse flicked its ears and stomped a foot as it remained in place. 

"If you're going to hang around here, at least help me with the rest of the chores?" Ranger asked as he yanked up the zipper on his coat, taking a few tries to get it all the way up since it was older and well-worn. 

Heian flicked his tail and trotted toward him, stopping with his side to Ranger before snorting with some sort of excitement. 

"Yeah, no. I'm not riding you again. My legs still hurt from you trying to kill me," he said as he grabbed the rope still around the horse's neck and began to lead him. They were halfway to the small herd of goats he wanted to use Heian to corral back toward the barn in preparation for a round of deworming when he felt something sift through some of the strands on the back of his head, then gently tug. 

Fingers...

Whirling around, he opened his mouth to yell... but it was just a horse again. And said horse was ignoring him, grazing as it slowly walked away from him swishing its tail. 

"I'm not laughing."

When Heian continued to ignore him, he sighed and started shooing the goats toward the barn. It was slow going for a while, but when they finally saw the hay feeders in their pens full, they quickly waddled in and allowed Ranger to slide the door shut. 

He'd already put all of the items he'd need inside, so he quickly got to work grabbing each animal and forcing the appropriate amount of dewormer into their mouths. They fought him and bleated, but as soon as he was done they just snorted and hobbled back to the hay feeders. 

It took nearly an hour until he was done. He would have finished about ten minutes earlier, but one of the smaller goats was a bitch to catch. He'd had to dive into the hay three times before he managed to grab the darn animal.