Bear 15

Staring at the phone he was holding above him, Ranger tilted his head on his pillow for the fifth time. He'd received a few notifications for the dating apps he had, and the woman he'd been pursuing actually replied to his last message, finally. 

He just... didn't feel like dealing with any of it right then. He'd napped most of the day away after his morning chores, but still felt a little tired. 

Pulling up with groceries in a second, Rane, came his brother's thought, pulling him out of his daze. 

Gotcha, I'm coming. 

Slipping out of bed, Ranger slid his phone into his back pocket and hurried down the stairs. He felt it vibrate a few more times as he stepped outside, but didn't bother checking it as he began helping his brother unload the car. He saw Walker get out and expected him to start helping, but when he went to the other side and picked up an out-cold Marsh, he understood that he'd need a minute. 

His mother showed up on his second round, grabbing the huge pile of clothing from the back of the car. 

Surprised he actually got his bear to try things on. 

He knew that Walker wouldn't just buy a ton of stuff without the guy checking to see if it fit. 

Wonder what the price tag was for you, bro. 

He could feel his brother's annoyance at his question in his thoughts, but the guy didn't bother with a reply before returning to help finish unloading. Ranger brought in three loads before returning outside, only to see his mother taking in the last few bags and Walker locking up the car. 

Shrugging, he fished his phone from his back pocket and raised an eyebrow as the screen lit up abruptly, showing him a brand new text. 

Neighbor: Again, you are not dressed for the weather. 

Ranger's eyebrows narrowed as he stared at the message. 

How the hell do you know? 

"Because I'm enjoying the view, even though I'm upset that you might get sick again with your shirt off in forty degree weather," came a voice from in front of him, drawing his attention up and over toward the fence. 

Heian stood leaning forward against the firm wooden structure, a dark brown cowboy hat tied around his neck, resting against his back. He wore a pitch black dress shirt and faded, dark gray jeans. His hair was perfect, of course, and it seemed like he'd braded a small portion of length on each side and tied them together behind his head. 

Do those two lines of braids go all the way down his back? 

Why had he even thought about that? 

"What are you doing here?" he finally asked as he took a step forward, but refused to walk all the way up to the guy. 

Heian gave him one of his dazzling smiles, but Ranger just scowled. 

"Your mother invited me over," he said as he easily hopped the fence, then walked up to Ranger. "And the braids were requested by my daughter. It's one of the things she prides herself on."

Ranger pursed his lips and sighed away his frustration. 

"They look really good. I'm honestly impressed. I can't do anything like that." 

And he had definitely tried before, too. Women loved it when you could interact with their kids well. He... sucked at it. 

"I'm sure she would love to teach you sometime," Heian said before he began walking past him, slipping his hand into Ranger's and gripping gently as he headed toward the house.