Bear 2

(This is another teaser chapter. I'm not quite ready to put it on a regular update slot yet.) 

The giant round carrier one of the trucks dragged along behind it had Marsh's ears pinning down against his head. He had no interest in getting inside it, no matter how many times Walker took a careful step closer to him with his weapon. 

He had eventually been joined by two of the people that had come with the envoy of vehicles. One was a woman with a catch-pole, which was ignored, and the other had a longer gun than Walker's. Marsh understood after hearing them talk for a few moments that it was a tranquilizer rifle, used specifically for knocking out large, dangerous animals. 

"This is your last chance, kid. None of us want to shoot you, but you aren't listening at all." 

Why should he? There was no positive outcome. Either he was tranquilized and transported to some foreign place, or he was shot with a bullet and died. 

He honestly wanted the second option, but he had a feeling that he'd have to do some actual damage to Walker before he'd dare pull the trigger. The idea of killing, even by mistake, made him unsettled if he knew that he would be unable to consume his target. Wasting food was never appropriate. 

"Why do I feel like you are considering chewing on me to get me to shoot over just getting into the transport container?" Walker muttered, more to himself than to him. 

Marsh gave a snort in response anyways, making the guy scowl at him. 

"Your life isn't over because you're hurt. Come back with us and we'll have a doctor, or if you'd rather, a veterinarian, check you."

Come back to where? There was nowhere else he wanted to be. With that in mind, Marsh turned and started to hobble away, really feeling the ache in his damaged leg as he limped slightly. He could hear several sets of footsteps following him, but they seemed to disappear one at a time over the course of a few minutes. The only remaining set following him already had their sound memorized in Marsh's mind. 

He came to a stop near a small stream to lap at the cold water, ignoring the man as he crept closer. The chill from the water hurt his injured nose, making him retreat a step as he shook his head, then sneezed and grunted. The scent of blood filled his nostrils, making Marsh paw at the injury with his big claws. 

"Hey now, don't do that," Walker chastised as he carefully grasped Marsh's paw, halting it from unintentionally slicing up another bit of his nose. He hadn't meant to hurt himself worse, but it itched and ached. It was a natural reaction to try and scratch at it. 

Walker's sudden interruption did at least take Marsh's attention away from his nose, but now it was on Walker... the man who was not only way too close, but was also grabbing hold of him. The gun was on his hip, not in his hand. 

Marsh took his chance. In one second flat he had the man on his back beneath his massive paw. His added weight kept him there, and when he tried to reach for the gun, Marsh easily pinned his hand at his waist, his fingers less than a inch from having been able to grab the weapon. 

The idea that he might be able to eat him came to mind again, but even if he managed to consume the person beneath him, he had backup. Marsh had no doubt that he'd just told them to wait just out of view. If they heard him scream, they'd definitely come running. 

"I'm not worth it, Bear. Even if they know that I'm instigating this, they won't let you off if you kill me," the man beneath him said quietly, clearly struggling to breath with the weight of Marsh's paw on his chest. 

He knew that he would likely be hunted down if he did kill the guy, even though he wasn't the cause of their close proximity, but his brain was hard-wired to seek food, and there was some right beneath his paw. It would be an easy kill, and he looked like he had a decent amount of meat on him. He wasn't scrawny, but he wasn't built. It would be a reasonable meal.