Chapter 32

"I have crazy news for you, Chocho," I say upon settling in the canteen with Chocho. She wonders why I am such in a haste and with such kind of intonation, a very shocked and excited tone.

"What's going on?" she asks and puts the tray on the table.

"You won't believe what I'm going to tell you," I say in a low voice someone else might hear me say it.

"Come on, tell me already," she is curious now.

"I found out that the jerk is Mr. Martin's son," the anxiety in my voice shows when I speak those words. Chocho's jaw drops and stretches her eyes wide open.

"You're joking, right?" I shake my head to refuse and she cups her face in shock.

"Even I was shocked when I found out. Mr. Martin is so nice and cool and is a perfect father figure. The jerk must be adopted," I tell her and she laughs at my statement. She unconsciously grabs the burger from the plate and opens the wrapper and grabs a bite.

"You're so cruel," she says while munching on her snack.

"What? Mr. Martin is lovely and that jerk is a knucklehead," my voice raises and I suddenly cover my mouth. I forgot we're in the cafeteria.

"Well, children sometimes don't acquire the parents' behavior," she says and I think that's the best explanation to why that jerk is a jerk.

"Yeah, you're right," I agree and she takes another bite from her burger and I take a sip from my orange juice.

"So, how did your discussion with him go?" she asks about what happened last Saturday.

"We only discussed two subjects. He dropped the rest of them," I say and she raises her brows in astonishment.

"Why?" she cluelessly asks and sips on her juice.

"He was acting strange, to be honest, and he called Literature boring. Add that he did not complain nor threaten me with my letter and take advantage of me," I sigh still wondering why he acted that way.

"I keep convincing myself that it was because that day was his late mom's birthday," I add, and Chocho's brows furrow.

"Late mom? You mean..." I did not tell her about it.

"His mom died a few years ago," I confirm her doubt and she sighs and her face saddens.

"He must be so sad," she murmurs feeling sorry for him.

"Don't you think it's the reason why he is acting the way he is now?" she continues. Hmm. It can be.

"What bothers me more is he called Mr. Martin a stupid old man and he was upset very quickly every time I mention his name," I add and she starts to wonder as well.

"That Kawaki is a mystery. Don't you think?" she asks. With all honesty, he is. Nobody knows him. He doesn't have friends and he doesn't talk much.

"He said, he does not talk to his dad. I wonder why he dislikes him I can tell though. The way his face turns mad when I asked him to get me an autograph from him. The way his tone of speaking changed erratically, there's something wrong," I tell her, and she gives me a not-so-sure face.

"So, what are you planning to do now?" she asks me. I don't know what exactly I am going to do. I shrug and take a bite of my burger. We finish our snack and return to class.

After our Literature class, I follow the jerk. I want to talk to him about the tutorial. He keeps walking to... Well, I don't know where he is going to by the way. I startle when he stops and turns his head. I gulp and sticky sweats on my forehead. I didn't rehearse what I must talk to him.