I. How We Met

"If you read the syllabus then you would know that I don't give extra projects for extra credits, miss L/N

"If you read the syllabus then you would know that I don't give extra projects for extra credits, miss L/N." the professor said as he walks over to his desks and places his things down. I've been following him since the end of his morning lecture in my class begging for him to give me another project so that my grade can assess for the required scholarship grade.

"But professor, please I need this scholarship. I might have to stop for a year if I don't get this." I plead.

"As much as I want to help you, I cannot. It would be unfair for the others who asked the same question." the professor replied.

I ran out of things to reply and just stared at the teacher who was in front of me blankly. My mind already left the orbit, financial problems filled my head, everything was ready to collapse including me. The professor's expression became worried as he snaps his fingers to bring me back to reality.

"Miss, L/N? Are you okay?"

I smiled in response as I bowed down and thanked him before leaving the office. I walked towards the exit of my department building, looking at the timetable on my phone scanning if I have any more classes to attend. I sighed, I was done for today, as I walked on the roads of the university I placed a hand on my forehead. It was scorching hot, everyone was under their umbrellas and me... I lift the backpack I was carrying to my head as I hurriedly went to the university gate. Life was truly dreadful for someone like me, who can't even afford a convenience store umbrella.

I placed my earphones as I attempted to take a nap on the subway home, it was still pretty early on a Wednesday afternoon the subway was almost empty except for me, an old couple, and a few high school students who might've skipped their afternoon lectures.

'Hmm, what should I get for dinner?' I thought, expecting a proper amount of money to buy something decent I reached into my backpack's pocket. My face gloomed, all I had was a few changes.

As I made my way to the outskirts of Tokyo where the quality of house dorms is as cheap as their prices. I enter the convenience store located on the first floor of the dorm building, I run my line of sight through the shelves looking for something to eat of course none fit my budget except for onigiris that costs 100 yen each.

"I'm so sick of this eating this.." I whined but it's not like I have any other choice I'll starve both ways so I decided to suck it up and dragged myself to the counter to pay up.

"That would be 350 yen." the employee said. "Guess you're eating onigiri again for dinner, huh?" he followed up. I lifted my head, it was my neighbor who also studies in a university within Tokyo.

"Mhm, kinda low on the budget this month." I joked. "You're always low on budget." he teased.

"Heeey, you're one to talk you ask me for table salt because you can't afford to buy one."

The employee gasps in a dramatic way and we both laugh at how poor and stupid we look right now. "Oh, it's raining." he cuts off our fun, I turned to look outside and it was starting to pour heavily. I looked at the container by my side where the umbrellas were stored. I smiled and shook off the thought of buying one. I handed the payment to the employee and accepts the bag of my purchase.