Chapter 6 -JULIE COMES TO STAY

George and Jake were in bed sleeping, it was 1 o'clock in the morning. Suddenly the phone rang and woke them up

''Who the hell is ringing this time of the morning?'' Jake groaned rolling over in bed

''It's ok I'll get it'' George said, getting up and grabbing a dressing gown. It was very cold 

He picked up the phone ''Hello?'' he mumbled

''George it's me Julie'' a distressed voice cried down the phone

''Ju, do you know what time it is?'' George said annoyed ''It's the middle of the night and we were both sleeping, we have work in the morning''

''George I'm sorry I really am but I had to call you, I didn't know what else to do. George, I'm homeless. Harold kicked me out of the flat. We had another big fight and he admitted to me he is seeing another woman. I went out and when I got back all my stuff was packed in bags on the porch and he had changed the locks. George, I am walking around in the dark with all my stuff and I have nowhere else to go. George, I'm scared and alone, please come and get me'' 

''Ju calm down, I'll come and get you in the car. Where are you?

Julie told George where she was and George switched the light on and started to get dressed

''Oh, what is going on?'' Jake grumbled, sitting up with his face screwed up shielding his eyes from the sudden brightness.

''I have to go and pick up Ju, Harold has kicked her out. She needs a place to stay''

''Oh, you're kidding me? We hardly have room here for her, this is a one-bedroom flat remember''

''We have a sofa bed don't we? she can use that''

''It will be very crowded''

''We'll manage''

''Why does she have to come here? She must have somewhere else she can go?''

''Jake she says she doesn't and she is walking around in the middle of the night with her stuff. She's helped us a few times now, buying us furniture and giving us that 2k for the garage. The least I can do is help her and give her a place to stay in return''   

George shot off in the car to pick up Julie who was standing in the dark with several suitcases and black bags looking like a complete mess

''George thank god you came to get me, I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't'' Julie wept as George got out of the car and opened the boot to put the cases in

''George I have all my stuff here'' Julie continued ''Do you have space to store all this at the flat?''

''We do have some storage cupboards, it's ok we'll find room for the stuff''

''George you're a complete angel''

''Friends help each other out remember'' George said smiling kindly ''You've helped me out and been a good friend and now I am doing the same for you''

''Does Jake mind me coming to stay?''

''I think he is worried it will be crowded but I told him we'll manage and I know he wouldn't want to see you on the streets, Ju'' 

George loaded the last bag into the boot and slammed it shut

''Come on Ju, let's get home, it's freezing out here''  

They got in the car and drove off through the silent streets. They got to the high street, there were very few cars around and the streets were silent and empty

''It's spooky when it's like this'' Julie said staring out the window at the dark and empty world outside

''I've always liked it like this at night'' George said ''when it's quiet. No kids screaming, no dogs barking, no people shouting, less traffic noise, and not as many sirens as in the daytime. It's a time to think and reflect on life. I've always been a bit of a night owl it's just a shame now I have to go to bed earlier to work the next day otherwise I'd sit up until 2 am quite happily''

They arrived back at the flat. Timmy was sleeping on the sofa but woke up when they came in and came to meet him

''Jake's sleeping so we need to be quiet'' George whispered and pulled the sofa bed out for Julie ''Would you like a hot drink, Ju?''

''I'd love a hot drink of cocoa if you have any, but I know you need to go back to bed. I don't want to keep you up any longer''

''It's ok, I am wide awake now anyway. I'll make us both a drink and we can talk for a while''

''To be honest I really do need to talk'' Julie said and lit a cigarette

George looked over surprised and didn't look very happy about it. Neither he nor Jake was smokers

 ''Oh I'm sorry I should have asked first'' Julie said with a sigh ''I really need this ciggie but I suppose I'd best put it out''

''No, it's ok, smoke it if you need it. I just hope Jake won't mind too much that's all''

George started to make the cocoa but when Julie saw a bottle of wine in the fridge she expressed her desire for some of that instead. George was unsure about this but poured two glasses of wine and they sat drinking and talking. George was not too delighted when Julie chain-smoked the entire time 

''My heart has broken George'' Julie cried ''I loved Harold so much and he has done this to me. Oh I'll never get over it, never''

''Yes, you will. You'll find someone else. I think you deserve someone better than him, to be honest. he has treated you so badly''

An hour or so passed, they finished the entire bottle of wine and Julie smoked and poured her heart out and cried about Harold

Finally, it got to 3 am and George was tired and needed to sleep

''Ju I have to go back to bed now and try and get some sleep. I have work tomorrow''

''Yes George I'm sorry, I've been such a selfish cow. I've kept you up half the night listening to my problems. Go to bed now. I need to sleep now too, the wine went straight to my head''

George went to find some blankets and duvets for Julie and finally got back to bed

The next morning Jake got up and the first thing he noticed was a very strong smell of cigarette smoke. He made his way into the lounge and there was Julie asleep on the sofa bed with two empty bottles of wine next to her. Timmy was whining at the door and Jake let him out. Jake went to put the kettle on, he yawned and was still tired. He had had enough sleep after being woken like that

George came into the room

''Morning'' he groaned still very tired

''Why did you let her smoke in here?''Jake asked angrily ''If she wants to stay here then fine but she will have to go outside if she wants to smoke''

''Yes I know, I'll tell her that in the future she has to smoke outside''

''It fucking stinks in here now'' Jake said angrily, he really was not in a good mood ''And why did you let her drink two bottles of wine? I didn't buy them so she could have them, they were meant to be so we can have a few glasses with dinner, one bottle at a time''

''Two?'' George cried surprised ''We opened one bottle, she must have helped herself to the second one after I went to bed''

''Well that was a cheek''

''Yeah, but you should have seen the state she was in Jake. Harold has really screwed with her the poor thing''

''Yes ok I feel sorry for her but she shouldn't smoke in here and steal our wine''

''I know and I'll tell her I promise''

''How long will she stay for anyway? She is already annoying me''

''I don't know Jake. But she did give us that 2k and buy the furniture remember, maybe we shouldn't really complain about a couple of bottles of wine you know''

''Ok sure, forget about the wine then, but she'll have to go outside if she wants to smoke'' Jake said firmly ''I am not prepared to put up with her smoking indoors and stinking the place out