Chapter Thirty Three

"Rise and shine, m'lady, you have a very busy day ahead of you." Serene sings as she enters the room - food platter in hand. Taking off the lid, a whole tray full of fruits is laid before me.

"Busy? When are my days ever busy?" I scoff and she gives me a sheepish smile before perching on the chair in the corner of the room. I am glad that she is becoming more comfortable with speaking freely with me. However, she still refuses to call me Nova.

"You will be training with Sire this morning but do not ask me why because he was on strict rules and was not at liberty to share the information with me," Serene furrows her brows but I know exactly what the training is for.

"Sounds riveting," I huff and dig into the fruit. I have never had such flavoursome fruits in my entire life.

"They're picked especially from the royal garden - only fit for a Queen," Serene smiles and all I can think about is who planted and grew these fruits. They are simply decadent.

"I've never loved fruit so much," I say as I take another bite. However, Serene rushes me along and tells me that Darian is waiting. Let the guy wait, if he really wants me to hurry he can come up here and fetch me himself.

After eating breakfast, Serene hands me my clothing for the training session and I must say they are very unladylike. But, I'll make do. I can't say that training in a gown would be suitable so this is the best option I have.

"I shall escort you to the court gardens," Serene says when I am finally ready. I'm glad that we are growing closer, all I've needed this whole time is a friend to rely on and I can more than rely on Serene.

"Thank you," I say genuinely. I cannot thank her enough for her work and what she does for this court. Serene, despite her station, is such a valued person in this court and everyone knows it.

Serene leads me to the gardens and round to a gazebo where Darian stands wrapping his hands.

"Took your time, Nova," Darian deadpans and I know that this is going to be one tuff training session if Darian is acting like this. No emotion resides in his features and I know that he is beyond pissed at me.

"Wasn't in much of a hurry," I retort and I see him clench his jaw. Oh, how I love it when I agitate him - it is one of my favourite past times.

"Thank you, Serene," Darian nods in her direction and she bows her head before walking back to the palace to attend to her several other errands. "Are you going to give me a hard time today?" he asks and I scoff.

"I think I should be asking you that. With you in a mood and all," I walk towards him and he stares me down like a predator watching its prey.

"I'm in a mood? You obviously are not aware of your own actions," Darian spits and I see that he has been planning this argument for the better part of eternity. I bet he was only rushing me because he had been reciting every word he wanted to say to get a rise out of me.

"C'mon Darian. When you're in a mood the whole world knows about it... there's no need to deny it," I goad him and see that it's working when he gives me a smile that I know means he's ready to fight.

I continue walking closer to him until we are within reaching distance of each other. "Quit deflecting, Nova, it's not a good look on you," Darian's posture remains calm and collected.

"Then what is a good look on me?" I shrug and I see his tongue poking against the inside of his cheek and I know that I've got him surrounded. "Go on... tell me what you think looks good on me."

"I think it looks good when you shut that pretty little mouth of yours," Darian says although his voice lacks any conviction or spite. I should be angry at what he has said but I can't find it in me to hold onto the anger. It slips through my fingertips.