Chapter Twenty Eight

We are about to leave to go to the meeting hall and of course, Darian has not sobered up one bit. Serene has appointed me in taking care of him.

My gown is surprisingly short tonight, the neck cut into a v-shape - accentuating my bust. Picked by Darian Acheron, of course. I turn to the mirror and check the back of the dress, seeing if it actually covers me.

"You look as sexy as ever," Darian slurs from across the room and I roll my eyes. With a few strides, he is behind me and looking at us both in the mirror. Darian is wearing his everyday classic black suit.

"Best behaviour tonight and you are banned from any alcoholic beverage," I point an accusing finger at him in the mirror and he gives me a smug grin.

"But I promised myself that I would be on my worst behaviour," Darian leans down and whispers in my ear. His hands squeeze the tops of my thighs and I sigh, closing my eyes. I have no clue what is going on between us.

"Also, hands to yourself," I smack his hands away and he whines.

"I just want to peel that dress off of you and kiss every inch of your body," he slurs and I step away from him - more annoyed than turned on.

"I'm not here for you to take whenever you please," I huff and walk into the bathroom. Darian is hot on my heels as I round the corner and stand in front of the mirror to take some of the pins out of my hair.

"I didn't know you felt that way," Darian says but then trips over his own feet. I stay in silence acting as though he isn't there. My long hair cascades down my back and when I am finally happy with how I look I exit the bathroom.

Darian still follows behind me as I sit on the edge of the bed, waiting for Manin to arrive and escort us to the meeting hall. Darian moves to stand in front of me, in between my thighs.

"Don't ignore me," he lifts my head by my chin so that I am looking into his eyes. "I don't like it when you ignore me," Darian whispers and swipes his thumb over my bottom lip.

I stand up and place my hands on his chest. "I don't like it when you're drunk," just in time Manin knocks on the door and I step away from Darian, needing space.

"Your court is ready for you Sire. Everyone is in the meeting hall waiting for your presence but only at your accord," Manin explains and bows at us both. I've always enjoyed Manin's presence, despite how formal he is, I have never had a dull moment with him.

"He is ready," I smile at Manin and straighten Darian's tie that has seemingly gotten wonky in the last five minutes. Darian furrows his brows and goes to open his mouth but I cover it with my hand. "Very ready."

"Follow me then Sire, m'lady," Manin gestures towards the door and I loop my arm through Darian's. Tugging him along and trying to make sure he is steady is going to be my sole focus for tonight.

As we walk through the corridors, Darian keeps mumbling all kinds of things into my ear about all the things he wants to do to me. At one point, I have to completely drown him out with my own thoughts - thoughts that I wish to never think about.

Darian unlinks our arms but instead wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me close to his side as we enter the meeting hall.

As soon as the guards open the doors, the hall falls deafeningly silent and all heads turn to face us both. I keep my head high as we walk towards the dais at the very end of the hall, making sure to smile at everyone as they bow.

I can't deny that the array of black is enchanting and the sense of unity that it brings is unmatched. "You must be on your worst behaviour... do not let them see the good in you," Darian whispers and kisses my hair.