Chapter Sixteen

My eyes sting as they flutter open, the sound of waves washing against the shore fill my ears and it's peaceful. Peaceful in the sense that I have no clue where I am... just that the stars are winking and my worries are washing away with the ocean.

I feel the water rise up my legs and the soft crunchy surface beneath my body. I lift my head slightly, my neck aching with the movement, where in the heavens am I?

A soft purr can be heard and I snap my head to the side, although, I relax when I notice it's only Manora. Her feather-covered head nods in the opposite direction as if trying to show me something.

I give her a small smile before reaching my hand out, from my place on the floor, and touching it to her beak. The hard surface is smooth as the pads of my fingers brush along it.

"Thank you," I smile and her eyes softly close - the action warming my heart. "I guess I should start learning how to save my own life," I scoff and her eyes open again but they're narrower this time.

She nudges my hand with her beak and I try to make a move to stand up. My lips are dry and cracked, my hair matted with salt water, my nightgown drenched - aren't I just the epitome of beauty.

The water washed the majority of the blood away but as soon as I stand, it begins to flow again - trickling down my hip and thigh.

The arrow is still stuck firmly in me, the sight once again making me feel nauseous. I've never been one for gore.

I latch onto Manora, trying to keep my balance, as she leads the way. I'm practically hobbling along, keeping my weight off of my left leg. Manora's too tall to let her aid me in leading me to wherever she is going - at least without the help of Darian.

I wonder how Darian had acquired such a fine beast, especially one I had never heard of before. I wasn't aware our kingdom still allowed any beasts that weren't wild inside the border.

I suppose Darian was the exception... though when isn't he.

After limping for longer than necessary, we finally reach a cobblestone path dusted with small granules of sand. I furrow my eyebrows.

Manora makes a small noise which I am sure means to continue so I do as she says. We both follow the cobble path as the breeze begins to cool, becoming colder as time goes on.

I am about to groan about how long it is taking when we finally reach where Manora was intending to take me. A small cottage is situated in the middle of the tall evergreen trees. It looks cosy enough.

"Is this Darian's safe house?" I ask, daring to speak his name. It feels as though his name is a curse now, that it brings me bad luck and things that I do not want. Because ever since I'd left my home and travelled into his macabre court... everything has gone downhill.

With a soft nod of Manora's head, we continue.

The wooden sticks that line the path immediately glow with a bright fire as we walk, well Manora walks and I just about manage to limp, down towards the cottage.

My side is throbbing so unbearably that it feels as though my left leg is about to be paralysed completely, that the pain will not subside but only intensify. And, it doesn't look as though I will be able to receive any medical attention on this island.

I just need to sleep. Sleep cures everything.

Manora leaves my side and curls up by a tree, fluffing her beautifully dark feathers as she attempts to get comfy, and I approach the door. Nothing about this seems to be what I would perceive as Darian's style. The cute homey vibes that are given are quite the opposite of his palace that seems to be spawned from the very depths of hell.