November 12th

Someone asked me why I danced today. Another asked why I play cello.

I shrugged and said, "I don't know. It's just what I do."

It's what I've always done. That's who I am. Luckily genetics were on my side and I've always been tall and lean.

Principle has never really been my goal but it would be cool. I mean, being the lead dancer in anything would be awesome. But for now, solos are good enough for me.

I graduated valedictorian with a political science major, dance and music minor. It was how I kept my skills good enough to be in Pittsburgh's dance company and still have a chance to have a career after it in case of injury.

Don't ask me why I picked political science. I was sort of put in the intro class and it was a pretty easy decision from there. Coming into college, all I really cared about was music and dance.

I went to a penguins game today. It was pretty cool. Sports were never my forte but I did enjoy watching them. Baseball was my favorite. My parents had Mariners season tickets ever since I was little so we went to more games than I can remember. I did a couple stints with t-ball but I always wanted to be a ballerina. Then music came into the equation.

But it was cool, being close to the ice. I didn't know the players, but Austin did. It made me laugh that he was so into the sport AND absolutely adored one of the players. I can't remember which but there was some heart eyes going on whenever he was on the ice. Landon was getting annoyed.

They're twins. Austin is gay and my pas de deux partner (for the most part) and Landon was straight and trying to be a choreographer. My best friends and roommates.

I think they grew up playing hockey and dancing, but eventually they had to get serious about one or the other and I'm glad they picked dance.

I knew who Sidney Crosby was, Fluery too but that was about it.

We stood at the glass during warm ups and I was mesmerized at the way #19 was moving. He seemed to skate with such grace, it made me jealous.

His eyes were bright blue behind the shield on his helmet. From what Austin said, he's attractive. But isn't that a requirement for professional athletes? Being beautiful and having a beautiful girlfriend? Pretty sure that's just an unspoken rule.

I enjoyed the game. To an extent. It was fun but still not my thing. Going to the bar after wasn't exactly my thing either, but it was hard to turn down a vodka cran.

"You're buying my drinks." I told Austin.

"Oh sweetie we're both going to need drinks once Landon starts going."

I had forgotten how extremely attractive the twins were, not to mention how promiscuous Landon was. It got annoying. All the girls were flocking to him until a group of guys walked in. Austin said it was the younger guys from the Penguins. I honestly could care less.

Landon and Austin were pretty much my boyfriends. They scare off every guy that would look my way. It was a blessing and a curse at the same time. I can't tell you how many times I've yelled at them for ruining something with a future politician.

Principle dancer and a senator power couple.

I can dream, right?

I was daydreaming about just that when Austin nudged me and I saw a pair of bright blue eyes staring at me.

"Hi, I'm Beau." He smiled and my God, I swear I fell in love with him then and there. Smiles just get to me.

I forgot how to speak, a chill ran down my spine, and my mouth went dry despite the fact that I was still sipping on my cocktail. I finished it, knowing I would fumble over my words if I didn't prepare something.

My body was graceful, my mouth was not.

Luckily that didn't get in the way of me going home with him.