Chapter 12 By the Library

Chapter 12

By the Library

“Well, what is it, Mel?” Lenora demanded, staring at me intently.

I took in just one last breath before, finally forcing out, “I’m not…”

“God, Melanie!” a shrill tone interrupted me. “What is your problem?”

Lenora and I both turned our heads to see Pansy, followed by Millicent and Daphne, arriving at the entrance.

I huffed and asked, “What are you talking about, Pansy?”

“I heard about how you threatened Draco with the monster,” she informed with her hands on her hips. “I can’t believe you would say something like that to him!”

I rolled my eyes and sighed. “I didn’t mean it. I was just angry.” I then looked up and glared at her. “You’re the one I should be angry with anyway. You’ve kept him convinced that I am the Heir of Slytherin.”

“We know you are,” Pansy shot back. “You can’t even prove you are not the heir.”

I stood up and looked her directly in the eye and stated firmly, “I will prove that I am not the heir.”

Pansy smirked. “Oh yeah, how will you do that?”

“By finding out who the real Heir of Slytherin is,” I replied, determination filling my tone.

With that, I left her and walked down the steps back to the main common room. Lenora followed.

“So are we going to look for the heir right now?” Lenora demanded, eagerly, as we reached the bottom.

I sighed and shook my head. “No, I need to apologize to Draco.”

She tilted her head, confused. “Why?”

“Well, I did threaten him,” I reminded her. “Besides, I really can’t afford to lose friends right now.”

Lenora shrugged and started to turn around. “Fine whatever, but I’m going back up if we’re not doing anything.”

As she headed back to the girls’ dormitories, I continued towards the sofas. I found Draco sitting alone on that same black chair, playing with the present he found on the table behind him.

I took in a deep breath before mumbling, “Hey.”

Draco briefly glanced at me before saying, “Come to threaten me with your monster some more?”

“It’s not my monster, Draco,” I reminded him trying to keep my tone level. “Look, I didn’t mean what I said. I was just upset about Pansy spreading her usual gossip.”

He did not say anything, but continued to play with his stolen present.

I tilted my head, trying to meet his eyes. “So are we good?”

He shrugged. “Well, that depends. Are you going to tell me the truth?”

I sighed knowing if I wanted to make things right with Draco it will take a bit more effort on my part. I hated myself for this, but I tried to think of what Pansy would say.

“Listen, Draco,” I began slowly, “Your family is one of the most respected pureblood families in this school and one of my closest friends here. In fact, I’m lucky to be friends with someone like you. Don’t you think if I really was the heir of Slytherin, you would be the first one I turn to for help?”

Draco remained quiet for a moment, considering what I said, before he finally lifted his head up and grinned. “I suppose when you put it that way, it makes sense that you’re not the heir.”

I smiled, glad that I finally convinced him. I also knew, if I really wanted to earn Draco’s forgiveness it would take a lot of flattery. I suppose it was worth it just to put an end to all this pointless squabbling over me being the heir when it was pretty much impossible considering my blood status.

“If its not you, I wonder who it could be,” Draco pondered aloud. “And don’t suggest Potter. There’s no way it could be him.”

I just shrugged. “You know, it’s probably either a sixth or seventh year in our house and they’re just really good at concealing themselves since they know more advanced magic. I doubt whoever it is would tell us since we’re only second years.”

He sighed. “Yeah, you’re probably right. I guess all we can do is wait and see if a mudblood finally dies.”

I shuddered at the thought. I just hoped I would figure out who the heir was before anything that horrible happened. One thing for certain, I planned not to quit for the rest of the year until I discovered the heir.

xXx

Months passed by. It seemed no one grew any closer to figuring out who was behind all the attacks. It was spring now, so that meant we were drawing near to the end of the school year. I had to figure out who the heir was before that. I do not think I could take another year of this ordeal.

Lately every time I have gone out I have heard nothing. I began to think the heir was currently trying to keep a low profile to avoid getting caught. Whoever the person may be was quite clever. I had to be too, if I wanted to figure out who it was.

I planned to track them now. It was not nighttime, but rather the middle of the afternoon. I knew this may sound like a ridiculous time to track down the heir, but perhaps at the same time brilliant. At this moment, the entire school was making their way outside to watch Quidditch. Pretty much all the students and the majority of the staff would be outside watching the game. If there was a time during the day for the heir to makes its move, it would be now.

I walked down the bright hall near the outside of the castle. I gazed out the windows seeing people having fun chatting with one another as they made their way to the stands. I longed to join but knew if I was serious about catching the heir I would have to make sacrifices.

Down towards the end of this hall, I spotted a young girl with red hair similar to Weasley’s. I figured she must be his younger sister. I walked towards her but by the time I reached the corner, she had vanished. My bones grew an eerie feeling.

I continued down the hall. I believed I was now heading towards the library. This hallway appeared darker than the others so it seemed more likely the heir would linger here with his or her monster.

I took each step slowly, listening carefully, my eyes scanning every centimeter of my surroundings. I heard a faint whisper, but it lingered too far for comprehension. I followed the sound, my breaths shortening with each one I took in. Then it grew louder.

Clever girl. You’re mine now!

NO!” I shouted in what I believed to be Parseltongue. “Stop!”

At the sound of a bang, I darted around to corner towards the library, but I was too late. In front of me, just a few steps away, I found the body of Hermione Granger, petrified. My own body froze, not knowing what to do.

I then heard footsteps accompanied by voiced nearing. One sounded like Professor McGonagall. I knew I had to get away. I could not afford to be caught, yet again, near a petrified body.

“Melanie, over here,” a hushed voice whispered from behind me. “Come on.”

I turned back to the corner to see Pansy.

“Come on,” she urged. “Let’s get out of here before you get caught.”

Is Pansy trying to help me? I wondered, as I headed towards her. As befuddled as I felt, I had no choice but to follow her.

As soon as we got close to our common room, she squealed, “You did it, Melanie, you got Granger! I heard you talk to it, and then it got her! You’re brilliant!”

I stared at her in utter shock, desperately wondering how I could deny this one. I knew I did not have long to think. Now that Pansy thought she knew the truth, within just hours from now, the entire school will know they same thing.