Chapter 2 The Lane Residence

Chapter 2

The Lane Residence

Lenora sent me a parchment with directions to her home. I used floo powder to get to the Castelo Apartments, a series of apartment rooms located just in front of their house. Just as Lenora promised, not a single muggle noticed me come out of the fireplace. I know I should be use to this by now, but it still seems so strange how magic works.

Before going out the back door of the building as the letter instructed, I took a few moments to have a look around.The main lobby appeared dusty and shaggy. The wood on the walls stood crooked with several pieces popping out. I wondered how the building did not fall apart. This must be a poor part of town.

I made my way to the back door. Lenora said if I just walk straight down the main path I would approach her house in less than five minutes and the muggles cannot see it. Sure enough, moments later I saw a tall dark wooden building surrounded by a short fence sloppily put up. The plants in the front yard grew wildly at different lengths. It seemed as though no one has worked in the garden for years.

Seeing as the fence was already open, I let myself in and knocked on the front door. A few minutes later, a tall man with short dark hair and a patchy beard answered the door, holding a cup that smelled of alcohol.

“Mr. Lane?” I asked uncertainly, not wanting to move in too close.

“Yeah,” he grunted, half-heartedly. “What do you want? Who sent you?”

I stepped back nervously. “I, uh…”

Fortunately for me, Lenora appeared at the top of the twisted stairs. She ran about half way down the steps and then swung both legs over the rail, landing on her feet. That would have given my mother a heart attack if she saw me do that.

“Daddy, its okay,” Lenora said, stepping between us. “This is my friend, Melanie. Remember, I told you about her. I said it was alright for her to come over.”

Mr. Lane barely glanced at his daughter when he shrugged and responded, “Oh, all right then. Just try not to make too much noise while you’re up there, okay?”

“Yes, Daddy,” Lenora answered quickly and then grabbed my hand. “Come on, let’s go.”

As I followed Lenora up the stairs, I noticed her wavy auburn hair had grown a couple inches since I last saw her. It feels strange. As slow as the summer had gone by, now that I was with Lenora it did not seem that long since I last saw her.

“Didn’t you say your dad works at the ministry?” I asked her as I turned my head and saw Mr. Lane slump back on the couch with his drink.

“He’s one of the night watchers,” Lenora answered. “So he only has to go in when it gets dark.”

We went into her bedroom and Lenora closed the door.

“Sorry, it’s a bit of a mess,” Lenora said as she plopped herself on her unmade bed.

I looked around to see about half the drawers open, clothing scattered around amongst the dresser tops, chair, and the floor, and the closet door open with various items coming out. My own mother would never allow for my room to get this out of hand. I have not lived long enough with Aunt Becky but based on how clean she kept the rest of the manor, I got the feeling she would be the same way.

“It’s not too bad,” I replied. “Besides, you’re lucky your dad doesn’t get on your case about cleaning your room.”

She smiled and leaned over to her night table and pulled out a bag of lollipops in the form of various creatures. I could not help but grin as I remembered when I first met Lenora she had a snake-shaped lollipop.