Chapter 3 The Book Signing

Chapter 3

The Book Signing

Since my visit with Lenora, I spent the next couple weeks getting caught up on everything to do with Gilderoy Lockhart. I learned of all his magical conquest and victories, leading him to become the famous man he apparently is today. I cannot believe I have not heard of him until recently. It seems as though Aunt Becky would have mentioned him.

I got so caught up in the book, Magical Me, I almost did not notice an owl at my window. It was not until it began pecking furiously, I finally lifted my head up. Recognizing it to be Draco’s owl, I opened the window and it dropped the letter on the ground, without even coming in, and flew off.

Dear Melanie,

I don’t know if you are still interested, but my dad had agreed to take me to Knockturn Alley this afternoon. If you still want to go, try to find a way to ditch your folks and meet up with us in front of Olivander’s at 1:30. See you.

Draco

Until now, I had completely forgotten about Knockturn Alley. I wrote back saying I will see him there. I just hope we get back in time for Gilderoy Lockhart’s book signing today. I could not believe how much my priorities have changed in recent time.

Once the time came to depart to Diagon Alley, I went downstairs with my copy of Magical Me for Lockhart to sign. Downstairs, I found Uncle Richard sitting on the chair by the fireplace reading the paper and Aunt Becky polishing some silver with Tinker assisting her.

Once Aunt Becky turned to see me, she beamed, “Are you ready to go, Melanie?”

I nodded eagerly, holding up my book. “Sure am.”

“Oh, that’s right. The book signing is today,” my aunt commented, eying my book. “I nearly forgot.”

Uncle Richard let out a sigh as he folded up the paper. “Its hard to believe what Lockhart’s made of himself. If you had known him back at Hogwarts, you would have never seen it coming.”

“You knew Gilderoy Lockhart at Hogwarts?” I asked astonished. “Were you friends with him?”

“He was actually in the year below us,” Aunt Becky added with less volume.

“He had a huge crush on your aunt,” my uncle explained to me as he turned to give her a wink and added, “I bet you wish you had given him a shot rather than settling for me.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Richard.” She smacked him playfully with the cloth she was using to polish the silver, and then turned to me. “Well, we should be going, Melanie. It’s probably better we go ahead and get all your supplies before Lockhart’s book signing.”

I nodded and then recalled the letter. “Oh, Aunt Becky, is it okay if I shop with Draco?”

“Is he going to be with his parents?” she asked.

“Yes,” I replied quickly, “and he already asked his dad if it was okay if I tag along.”

She let out a sigh. “I suppose that is alright. Let me just drop you off with them and I’ll come back to pick you up later. Just make sure you stay with either Mr. or Mrs. Malfoy.”

I agreed and we both traveled through the fireplace to Diagon Alley. I spotted Draco and his dad just in front of Olivander’s as the letter said. Aunt Becky gave Mr. Malfoy a brief friendly greeting, thanking him for letting me come along, and then told me she will be back soon.

While on the way to Knockturn Alley, Mr. Malfoy explained that he expected us to behave while we were down there to which we both agreed. I looked about the place before we turned the corner.