Chapter 8 Triple Owl Dare

Chapter 8

Triple Owl Dare

The next morning, I immediately jumped out of bed, having only been in a light sleep anyway. The first thing I did was peek at Pansy’s bed. Seeing that the covers were pulled down with her nowhere in sight, I could only conclude she had already left. I dashed out through the portrait after her. Fortunately, she did not get very far down the hall.

“Pansy!” I called out after her in heavy breath.

She stopped and turned around, wearing a look of exasperation. “What is it, Melanie?”

“I know what you are going to do.”

She folded her arms. “And?”

I took in a breath, trying to think quickly. The easiest thing to do right now would be to hex her, but that would only get me into trouble. Also, she would get even more furious and turn me in anyway.

“I… er, you were right.” I could not believe the words coming out of my mouth. “I do need help. I can’t do this alone. With all the pressure, it is just too much.”

She raised her eyebrow. “Really?”

I nodded, trying to appear as sincere as possible. “Yes. I really do want what is best for this school. I just can’t… it is just a lot to do by myself.” I took a deep breath feeling suddenly nauseous. “Will you help me?”

Pansy lowered her arms and smiled as she rushed over to embrace me. “Oh Melanie, of course I will help! I am so glad you told me this and I am happy we finally see everything the same way!”

I seriously wanted to hurl as she hugged me, but fortunately it was over within seconds.

As she pulled back she added with a bold smile, “Remember if you need anything, Melanie, you know who to come to.”

“Uh… yeah sure.”

I stared off at her as she strutted off. I am definitely going to regret this.

xXx

That night I sat by the fire with Lenora. Thankfully since my encounter with Pansy this morning, she has not spoken to me much since. I hope, for my own sanity, it stays that way.

“So what do you want to do tonight?” Lenora asked, leaning her arm over the chair.

I shrugged. “I don’t know.”

Lenora rested her head on her hand. “There has got to be something fun we can do. I mean there is a monster out there.”

I laughed for a brief moment, but it faded when my eyes caught sight of a certain group of girls entering the common room. I moved up to the edge of the sofa. “Whatever you can think of, lets do it now before…”

“Why hello, Melanie,” Pansy greeted as she, Millicent and Daphne sat on the couch with us. “What are you two up to?”

“We were just heading out,” I answered quickly, shooting a desperate look across the room. “Right, Lenora?”

She shrugged. “Sure, why not?”

“It is getting close to after hours,” Pansy pointed out, giving her a sharp look.

Lenora sat up straighter. “So, it’s Friday. I have no intention of staying cooped up in the common room tonight.”

Pansy sighed. “Well, perhaps we can all hang together.”

I raised my eyebrow. “You want to hang out with us?”

She shrugged, tilting her head. “Sure. I do not see a reason why we can’t be friends, Melanie.”