Chapter 7 Pansy's Offer

Chapter 7

Pansy’s Offer

“Professor, I um…” My mind raced to think of something. “I swear, I found him like this!”

McGonagall’s expression read a mix of shock and sternness. “Miss Chamberson, this is a very serious situation you have landed yourself in. What were you even doing out of the Slytherin common room at this hour?”

I stood up and turned my head to look for Lenora, but she was nowhere to be found. Letting out a sigh, I figured I may as tell the truth. “I was trying to follow a voice I heard before Mrs. Norris’s attack. I thought it might have something to do with the attacks.”

The professor shook her head, gazing at me sharply. “Miss Chamberson, I don’t think you understand the seriousness behind you being here at this moment.”

“Please, Professor!” I begged frantically, rising to my feet. “I promise I just wanted to help find out who is behind the attacks. That’s the only reason I…”

“It is not up to you to take these matters into your own hands, Miss Chamberson,” she replied sternly.

“Well, maybe if you and the other teachers were more on top of this, I would not feel the need to get involved,” my mouth spat before my brain had the chance to intervene.

That was not the best choice of words. My body froze, horrified at what I just said.

McGonagall looked at me, the strictness flashing in her eyes. “That remark, Miss Chamberson, just bought you a week’s detention, and under the present circumstances I am afraid I have no choice but to escort you to Professor Dumbledore.”

“Wait,” a deep voice came from behind.

I looked past her to see Professor Snape emerge, a couple other professors behind him. I am not sure whether or not to feel relieved.

“Miss Chamberson is in my house,” Snape said, calmly with a dash of bitterness, “therefore I am to decide what happens to her at this point.”

McGonagall pointed her eyes to her colleague. “She was found with Collin Creevey in this state.”

“So,” Snape answered, darkly with a shrug. “Potter and his friends were first found with Mrs. Norris, yet he was barely questioned. It is not Miss Chamberson’s fault she does not lie within the same range of favor with Dumbledore as Potter does.”

Appearing rather taken aback, the Transfiguration teacher merely nodded and she and the other professors proceeded to care for the young Gryffindor boy. Snape motioned for me to follow him.

“Thank you, Professor,” I muttered from behind him.

Ignoring my gratitude, he immediately demanded, “Why were you and Miss Lane out of your chambers at this hour?”

“We wanted to…” I paused, looking down at my feet and mumbled, “We wanted to see if we could find the heir.”

His body swiftly turned to face me, coming to a halt. “And what exactly did you find out?”

I shook my head, keeping my eyes down. “Nothing.”

Snape turned back around as we proceeded forward. “You see, Miss Chamberson, the heir of Slytherin indeed knows what he or she is doing. That person will not likely find himself or herself caught by a couple second year girls. But then again, it is likely you already know that.”

What is that supposed to mean? I wondered, but did not dare ask. Instead I went with, “Do you think the heir will be caught?”

He turned to give me a brief sharp glance before answering, “He was last time. No matter how clever this person believes he or she is, I believe, with Dumbledore in this school, that person will indeed be caught.”