Chapter 4 Tales of the Heir

Chapter 4

Tales of the Heir

Thankfully, Aunt Becky still let me stay to get my book signed. Unfortunately, Lockhart had somewhere else to be so I did not get to ask him any questions. At least, I will be seeing quite at lot of him at Hogwarts this year.

Just as we were about to go into the store with the fireplace we used, I heard someone call out, “Melanie!”

I turned to see Lenora waving.

Giving Aunt Becky my best wide-eyed puppy dogface, I pleaded, “Can I go talk to her for a few minutes? Please, I have not had a chance to see her all day.”

The instant she nodded, I ran over to greet my friend, giving her a hug.

Lenora looked passed me giving my aunt a brief glance. “Are you leaving already?”

I sighed. “Yeah, my aunt got kind of upset after that fight with Mr. Malfoy and Mr. Weasley so we have to leave now.”

She gawked at me in bewilderment. “No way! They actually got in a fight? Was it a wand dual or a muggle fist fight?”

“Fist fight,” I muttered in response.

She laughed, clapping her hands together. “That’s awesome! I cannot believe I missed that. Too bad my dad was not there. He would have kicked both their arses.”

I looked past her, just realizing she stood alone. “Where is your dad?”

Lenora shrugged and replied casually, “Oh, he’s at home.”

Now it became my turn to gape at her in bafflement. “He let you come by yourself?”

“Sure,” she replied as though it were no big deal. “All I need is some coins and a hand full of floo powder and I am good to go. There is no reason for him to tag along.”

“Lucky,” I muttered ever though I knew I would feel just a bit uncomfortable coming here alone.

“So did you get your book signed by Lockhart?” she asked eagerly.

I nodded holding the signed book up for her to see. “I wish we could have gone together. Draco was not exactly the best company. He just does not seem to understand all that Lockhart has done.”

Lenora let out an understanding sigh as she brushed her hair behind her shoulder. “Yeah, I met up with Blaise earlier today and he acted the same way. I think most of the boys are just jealous.”

“Definitely,” I agreed, my eyes moving past her. “Hey, Lenora. Isn’t that your dad over there by Knockturn Alley?”

She turned her head to see her father standing in the shadows just by corner leading to the dark alley, talking with Mr. Malfoy. “Yeah, it is. That’s weird. He did not say anything about stopping by here.” Lenora then looked back at me and shrugged, starting to head in his direction. “I’m going to go check it out.”

I nodded and began to follow. “I’ll go with you.”

“Uh, Melanie. You are not going near that alley.”

Until that last stern order, I had completely forgotten that Aunt Becky stood close by.

I let out a huff and said to Lenora, “I guess I will see you at the train station.”

She raised her eyebrow and grinned. “You are not going to sit with Pansy again, are you?”

I shook my head, letting out a deep breath. “I don’t think I can go through that again.”