Chapter 10 Friends Again

Chapter 10

Friends Again

“Lenora!”

The moment I stepped in the Slytherin common room, I began searching every spec of the place for her. She had to be back by now. How long could detention last?

“Lenora!” I tried again, ready to go up to the girls’ dormitory.

Just as I started to walk towards the steps, the very person I was looking for appeared in that place.

“What is it?” Lenora demanded, eying my desperate face curiously.

“I need to talk to you?” I panted, stepping towards her.

She rolled her eyes. “Oh, so now you’re talking to me again?”

“This is big…” I began but then said instead, “Look, I’m sorry. I guess I overreacted last week. I shouldn’t have gotten so mad at you.”

She stared at me for a moment before letting out a sigh. “Fine, I’ll forgive you, but only because I know you have something good. Now spill.”

“I know who the Heir of Slytherin really is,” I breathed, not wanting to waste a single moment. “It’s Potter.”

Lenora just gawked at me, speechless as the seconds passed. “What?”

“I know it sounds crazy, but believe me, it does make sense,” I explained. “Today at the Dueling Club, he actually spoke to a snake.”

She raised her eyebrow, still suspicious. “What do you mean, he spoke to a snake?”

“Just what I said,” I insisted, taking another step closer to her and lowering my tone. “It sounded like English to me, I guess because I’m a Parseltongue, but everyone else said he hissed at the snake and it responded to him.” When she continued to stare at me in disbelief, I continued, “Trust me. You can ask anyone. It really did happen.”

“Okay, so what if he did?” Lenora shrugged her shoulders. “That doesn’t mean we can just assume he’s the heir. We haven’t seen him actually do anything.”

“You’re right.” I pounded my fist into my hand. “We somehow need to find proof so we can turn him in.”

“How are we supposed to do that?” Lenora asked, raising her eyebrow.

“Just like we did before,” I stated firmly. “We track the voice, and if Potter really is the heir, he should be close by. He was the first one there when we found Mrs. Norris, remember?”

“Yeah, I suppose,” Lenora muttered. “When do you want…”

She was cut off as we heard Pansy and her clique enter the common room.

“I can’t believe Potter, of all people, has the ability to talk to snakes,” Pansy remarked. “I mean, Potter!”

“I can’t believe we actually know two people that can,” Daphne chimed in. “I mean, the gift is so rare.”

Pansy snorted. “Maybe Melanie and Potter are somehow related? I could see that. They both do like to hang out around losers.”

I glared in Pansy’s direction and then looked at Lenora, who rolled her eyes, and said, “I think the fact that she’s still standing should be considered proof that I’m not the heir.”

Lenora chuckled and then asked, “Alright, so when do you want to go out and try to expose Potter?”

I look her in the eye with determination, and utter in a breath just above a whisper, “Tonight.”