Chapter 5 The Voice

Chapter 5

The Voice

For weeks, the entire school has been gossiping about how Potter and Weasley arrived at Hogwarts in a muggle car instead of the train. Apparently, they only got detentions for it. I will bet if it were someone other than Potter, they would be expelled. Draco has been ranting on about this since the night it happened. It annoyed me too, but I have long since gotten over it. There has been too much else to occupy my mind, such as Lockhart’s classes. That seemed to be all any girl in this entire school focused on, especially now, on our way to his class.

“So how do you think you did on Lockhart’s last test?” Lenora asked as she walked next to me, hugging her books to her chest.

“Pretty good,” I replied, upbeat but then huffed. “I could not remember the one about his secret ambition.”

“That was a tough one,” Lenora sympathized. “I bet a lot of people missed that.

“Granger probably got it right,” I muttered gloomily. “She still seems to be Lockhart’s favorite student.”

“What do you expect?” Draco chimed in, his tone full of annoyance. “Granger is everyone’s favorite because she’s a brownnoser. Besides, that class is a waste of time. I don’t even see the point in going.”

I turned to face him, appalled. “It is not a waste of time! Everything Lockhart teaches us is important.”

“Really? Last time he spent thirty minutes telling us why blue is his favorite color!” Draco reminded me with a snort. “What is with you girls and Lockhart? Two nights ago, I caught Pansy write ‘Mrs. Gilderoy Lockhart on her parchment.”

Instead of snapping back, Lenora and I both burst out laughing.

“She wishes,” Lenora choked out in a cackle.

“Yeah, she is going to have a hard time finding someone who will put up with her,” I added, my laughter dying down.

“No one would want to date any girl obsessed with a false famed wizard with an overblown head,” Draco added as Crabbe and Goyle sneered at his remark.

Both Lenora and I rolled our eyes as we entered the classroom for our next Defense Against the Dark Arts class. As always, Lockhart greeted us with a bold grin, his gorgeous white teeth sparkling. Today, just like every other class, the girls sat at the edge of their seats, absorbing every word that came out of this teacher’s mouth. The boys, on the other hand, leaned back in their chairs, unimpressed (I would say jealous), exchanging glances with one another or resting their heads, bored.

“Now, class,” Lockhart began, “Today, we will discuss the period of my life in which I fought and defeated the dragons of Norway. Can someone tell me how old I was when I went there?” After a half second passed, he beamed. “Yes, Miss Granger!”

“Twenty-one years old,” Granger answered promptly from the front of the room, as I let a frustrated huff.

“This is so stupid,” Draco muttered under his breath.

“Draco, be quiet!” I whispered back as he leaned in his chair with his arms folded and rolled his eyes.

“That’s correct, Granger.” Lockhart winked at her and added, “Five points to Gryffindor. Now, can someone tell what was the most threatening type of dragon I had to slay?”

I slammed one hand on my desk as the other shot straight up in the air.

Lockhart looked at me startled, but smiled. “Yes, Miss Chamberson.”