010: A Family Never Forgotten

"Gotcha!" Cliff exclaims.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

"Come on, Cliff. It's alright, man. They're cool." Gar tries.

"I know, and they listen to all the right music, and they're just awesome. And make them go." He sarcastically says the first part.

"What is this place? Who are you people?" Rachel asks.

'I love you, Rachel, but how many questions do you have?' I roll my eyes at my own thoughts.

"Chief calls us the conventionally challenged. And this place is-"

"You two kids need to go home." Cliff cut Gar off.

"Are you a robot? Or..." Rachel trails off.

"Here we go." Cliff mumbles.

"He's a robotman." Gar happily states.

"Oh, fuck me." Cliff turns to Gar.

I cover my mouth in hopes a laugh doesn't escape, but I'm not always so lucky. A small one comes out and Cliff turns to stare at me. A second later he turns back to Gar.

"Cliff was a race car driver. A pretty famous one, too. He got into a bad accident. His body was pretty much kaput. Chief managed to save his brain." Gar knocks on Cliffs metal head.

"Knock it off." He calmly states.

"What little there was left of it." Gar states.

"Hey. They've got to go before the chief gets home." Cliff says.

"Who's the chief?" Rachel wonders out loud.

"Oh. Well, he's the greatest doctor in the world. Saved all of us." Gar responds matter of factly.

"All of you?" I question further.

"Who else lives here?" Rachel asks after.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

All of us are standing outside of the house, Rachel and I are saying our goodbyes to everyone. I think the person she's gonna miss most is Gar. They might not know it, but I can tell they are starting to like each other.

"Go. Go with them." Cliff says, holding Gars shoulders. "Go have a life."

"But the Chief." Gar protests.

"His back is broken again. We'll take care of him." Larry says.

"He helped us, Gar. No matter what, we owe it to Chief to help him now." Rita tells him.

"Oh, maybe you guys can come. I mean, you don't have to hide anymore." Gar pleads.

"It is what it is, kid." Cliff states.

"But you..." Rita hands Gar his backpack. "You can have more than us."

After an emotional few minutes and many goodbyes from Gar to his family, he walks over to us. Everyone starts pilling in, but I turn to look back at them.

"I'll see you guys sometime in the future, right?" I question.

"We'll see, kid, we'll see." Cliff says.