The Battle of Chemary S2 E11

I had to give it to Gaius, he was smart. Really smart. When he had originally suggested that we twist the truth around slightly to avoid any suspicions from my father, I had my doubts, I will admit that but what Gaius had come up with was really simple but really effective. After we had finalised our plans, I had left Gaius's chambers in search of my father.

Of course when I finally found him, he seemed in a mood, as usual but when I mentioned that Gaius had requested an audience, something about a piece of information in relation to the Crystal of Neahtid, his face broke into a massive grin and for a split second I was terrified that he was going to try and hug me. Thankfully he seemed to regain his composure and immediately gathered an audience.

On entering the Great Hall ten minutes later, I wasn't too surprised to see it already lined up with rows of Lords waiting to hear what Gaius had to say. Knowing that Morgana was involved with this, I tried my best to act natural as I sat beside her at the front of the room, though I did try to not look in her direction if I could manage it.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't angry with her but I was worried about her. I hadn't realised that she felt so alone here and that she was so miserable. I knew I had to change that before it was too late but at this moment I wasn't sure what I could do to help, knowing what I did. But from now on I would try and comfort her more about her magic as that seemed to be the main issue here. Part of me considered telling her about my own magic but considering her alliance with Alvarr right now, I doubted that information would stay secret in their little band of renegades and I was concerned that the information would get back to my father who would probably take the upmost joy beheading me on the spot and ridding himself of the burden that was me.

"You know the whereabouts of the crystal?" my father asked, rising from his throne after Gaius had finished speaking.

I felt Arthur shift nervously behind me as he was leaning up against the back of my seat, watching over the audience. From anyone else's perspective, his action wouldn't have been noticeable but as he was right behind Morgana and myself, though I couldn't see him, I could feel every shake of my chair as he moved around slightly.

"I believe so, Sire," Gaius confirmed.

Rather than Arthur shifting nervously, this time I had Morgana on my left shifting slightly in her seat at this news. I pretended not to notice it but as my eyes wandered around the room and landed on Merlin, I could see that he had noticed it too.

"I see. How did you come by this information?" Father asked, keeping his calm exterior this time.

"In my many years of being a physician, I have dealings with many different people," Gaius answered. "They hear things, Sire, and they see things. Last night I was confronted by one such couple." I noticed the small tug at the side of Gaius's mouth as he said this, his eyes flicking to mine for a mere fraction of a second, making me try to contain my own smile. "They told me that the crystal had been stolen by a band of renegades, led by a man called Alvarr."

"Who exactly were these informants?" Father asked. Oh, if only he knew he was standing right beside one of them. Once again, I had to bite down on my lip to contain the smile as I saw Merlin have to duck his head to hide his own smile.

"I think it would only be fair to protect their identities, Sire. If news of their betrayal were to reach the renegades, it could indeed endanger their lives," Gaius said.

"Very well," Father agreed.

I felt Arthur leave his place from behind my chair and instead he came over to my right side and perched on the arm of the chair. Could he not get in his own chair?! I moved to my left slightly to give him a bit more room so he didn't fall off, though that would be really funny if he did, and in the corner of my eye I saw him subtly smirk, making me really want to shove him off the chair.