Chapter 23

Reunions

_____________________________________________

​​​​​​

-1 month ago-

When you and Gaster had walked out of that room, you had both been surprised by the sight of Sans, sleeping against the wall directly in front of the door. There was no sign of Frisk in sight, so you boiled it down to that time in the void most likely worked differently than it did in the Underground.

-----

Gaster took a moment to take in the colors of the world again, and the sparkling stones on the ceiling shined their greetings. He couldn't help but to smile, so glad to see light once more and something other than the darkness that had enveloped around him for so long.

Taking a step forward, he looked down to his sleeping son. Sans was no longer the small, pure boy he once knew, but he had a feeling that nothing much had actually changed. He nervously shifted around on his feet, unsure as what to do. You smiled gently and took initiative, bending down to the sleeping skeleton's level. Raising a hand up to his shoulder, you softly shook him awake.

"Sansy.. Sansy..! Wake up... I'm back, and I've brought someone with me."

His eyes groggily fluttered open, and out of habit tried going back to sleep. You shook him again, and this time Sans paused to see who was attempting to wake him. When he saw your face looking down at him, his eye sockets widened. Smiling in relief, he stood up and seemed to not notice Gaster standing behind you.

"Well, good morning to you too. I think this belongs to you."

You untied the jacket that was around your waist, placing it into his skeletal hands. Sans slipped it on, now looking more comfortable than when he was just in a t-shirt.

"heh, glad to see you made it back alright. what happened in there? any clues or.. greyed out monsters?"

"You could say that..."

Sans quirked a bone brow at your words, confusion settling into his pin pricks. You smiled wide, and, nervous but excitedly, stepped to the side. Gaster stiffened up at the sudden attention, locking eyes with his son. Sans froze on the spot, his eye sockets going black.

There was nothing but silence, emotions switching faster than channels on TV in his eyes. Some of them made you begin to think if maybe Sans did resent Gaster for what had transpired that day at the core.

"Sans... Why, look at you- You're all grown now! I knew that you would be bigger now, but my golly, I don't think I was actually prepa-"

Gaster was cut off by arms that suddenly encircled his torso, a little 'oomph' escaping his mouth. Looking down, his eyebrows raised, seeing the sight of his son hugging him tightly. Saying nothing more, he knelt down to his height and returned the gesture. You watched the sweet reunion, the warmness of it almost melting your heart. Letting them do their thing, you looked around and saw that the door leading into the void was gone.

If we had been in there for a couple more minutes..

Feeling a tug at your shirt, you turned and suddenly got pulled into the hug fest of the two skeletons. Laughing, you wrapped your arms around both of the monsters. Soon enough, Sans joined your laughter and let go.

"i don't even know what to say, or even know how this is possible, but i guess this means that i've got a dadster again?"

Gaster barked out a laugh and nodded happily.