Chapter 17

Forget Me Not

____________________

The core continued to shake and tremor as you held on for dear life on the metal railings. Gaster typed and typed code until he finally hit enter, and the shaking stopped. Shakily looking around, the others in the area were fearfully holding onto whatever was around. Many held onto railings while others gripped the metal beams that rose from the lava below.

"Crisis averted..."

"Gaster, what in the hell was that?!"

"That, Y/n, is why it's so dangerous here.  While the Core is almost finished, right now it is in its prime of sensitivity. That blast from earlier must have caused it to become unstable with its energy levels."

Letting out a shaky breath, you let go of the metal bars to open and close your hand. Once you got feeling back, you walked over to Gaster and looked at the codes he put in. As you thought, it looked like doohickery. Rubbing your temples, you sighed and gave him a grateful look.

"Well, looks like I'm making a lot more than desserts if this is what you have to deal with."

Gaster sweat dropped and laughed nervously beside you.

"It is what it is... But, come along now. I have to do something on the other side."

Deadpanning that he brushed off almost dying, you followed him, making sure to stay away from the ledges that just screamed death. Upon reaching the opposite side of the battery-thing, you saw yet another control panel. With a flick of his pristine white lab coat, Gaster repeated what he had done earlier. He picked something out of his pocket, his glasses, you noticed, and taped them on so he could see better. You watched his fingertips hit the keys in an almost rhythmic pattern.

"So, what are you coding for that thing to do?"

You noticed the familiar glint in Gaster's eyes at the opportunity to explain something.

"I'm coding the Core piece in front of us to be able to take in the geothermal energy and convert it to electrical energy. The pieces are all here, all we need to do is tell it what to do and make sure it doesn't blow us to bits in the meantime."

While it was a bit disturbing the way he talked about being blown up in a cheerful manner, you hummed and stored that bit of information in the back of your brain. Gaster continued to do his thing while you looked around again. The rocks above differed greatly from the ones in Waterfall, instead looking earthy with it's dark toned browns and oranges. You noticed that there weren't actually any lights on, as the lava below glowed brightly enough for the scientists to work well. Sweat protruded from your brow as you took in everything, feeling sorry for the furred felines and canines that worked up in the core.

"Random question, but uh, do skeletons even feel temperature?"

"Yes, of course we do. We just have a higher tolerance for it."

"I see.. Oh, what I would give to be a skeleton!"

"I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not."

"Ooo, wait, if I were, would I have a font name? That'd be magmajorly awesome."

Gaster snorted at the pun and tried not to smile.

"That.. was awful."

"You know you love it."

"So much so that I've had to put a ban on it so we can actually work instead of goofing off around here."

"Now that's just impressive."