Epilogue

"Ladies and gentlemen, we just landed at Fiumicino Airport." I stared at the empty runway with a sigh of relief. Another safe and successful flight. "Welcome to Rome."

I was still donning my uniform—a black and gold suit minus the cap—when I left the airport for a quick stroll in the city. In a few hours, I would be flying back to San Francisco and finish up some work remaining.

My phone vibrated in my pocket, hurriedly picking up the call upon seeing the name displayed on the screen. "Hey," I said, a smile already tugging at my lips before I knew it.

"Hey. Where are you?"

"There's this gelato shop near the airport. I'm by the doorway."

Aelius hummed. "Oh. I see y—"

We were cut off when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I raised a brow at the 20-something-year-old man that disrupted the conversation with a dashing smile.

Gods, not again.

"Posso aiutarti?" I asked. Can I help you?

The man nodded. "Sì, se mi dai il tuo numero." Yes, if you give me your number.

"Not interested." I turned back to my phone.

"See that car parked outside?" he said in English, though the accent shot through loudly. "Vintage, Signorina. I can drive you around the area. And if you find it boring, I can take you to my suite in Royal Allure."

"So you're loaded." My eyes traveled from his gelled hair down to his loafers. "Must be nice."

He flaunted a smug face, thanks to the half-hearted comment. "I can spend my money on a pretty face."

"Alon?"

The stranger and I turned to Aelius who'd just crossed the road and was barely a distance away from where we stood. To my surprise, he was also wearing his uniform—a dark navy blue suit and pants decorated with silver.

"This guy's pretty loaded, V," I said as I dropped our call. "He says he'll take me to his suite in Royal Allure."

"Oh, is that so?" Aelius let out a chuckle, then proceeded to address the man. "Well, I was just about to woo this pretty face, too."

I clicked my tongue. "Lost by 10 seconds. You need to up your game."

The man threw us a confused look, eyes darting to Aelius, then to me. He was having way too much fun with this, I could tell with the corners of his lips slowly rising.

With an apologetic smile, I patted the man's shoulder. "The offer sounds great. I'll go with the loser, though. Wouldn't wanna waste his pretty face." You own the suite, but he owns the whole cruise. But he didn't need to know that.

Aelius snaked his arm around my waist and gently pulled me close. Four years had gone by, but with this proximity, I'd say he still was easily the most drop-dead gorgeous man I'd ever seen, and the statement wasn't an exaggeration. Soft, feminine-like features, jet black and wavy hair, piercing gaze, chiseled jawline, and no-nonsense stance. He leaned forward, closer to me, and I took in the subtle presence of sandalwood, rose, and alcohol. And the Italian accent. Also fairly subtle, pleasing to the ears.

And so I let the pretty boy whisk me away from the gelato shop after bidding a dry farewell to the stranger. His fingers interlocked with mine, and my heart threatened to leap out of my chest when he brushed against the engagement ring he put on me just a few weeks ago. As he gave me a tour of the eternal city, only one thought conquered my mind:

This is perfect.

End