31: Someplace Else

To say I was still processing this afternoon's surprises would be an understatement. They sure knew their way with giving me several heart attacks.

"Your pizza's getting cold," Cali said, nudging my arm. "You okay, Captain?"

"I—yeah, of course. Of course." I grabbed my pizza with two hands and began eating it without stopping to take a breath. Big mistake, of course, as I was a coughing mess not even a minute later. The lone thread of composure I had left was threatening to break from the embarrassment that followed.

Cali repeatedly patted my back as the others on the table shared concerned looks. But all of us collectively paused when Aelius, who sat in front of me, quietly slid his glass of water to my side. He then took two slices of pizza from the pan and put them on my empty plate. When we locked eyes, he only offered a smile.

And that, gods, that had my face heating up.

"Gosh, Aelius," Cali broke the silence, smirking as she booped my crimson cheeks. "You know Captain's a sucker for acts of service."

The pretty boy shrugged. "I'm always at her service."

Cue another coughing fit.

Dammit.

Beside me, Cali gasped dramatically. "Fabulous timing, babe," she declared as Achilles was taking off his shoes by the entrance and placing them close to his girlfriend's. "I was just about to suggest that we eat all the pizzas without you."

"I can make another tray of that," the man said as he greeted my best friend with a peck on the lips and put down a small bag on the table, the words Happy Birthday written in messy, glittery fashion. "For you, Signorina, I DIY-ed the packaging," he said to me as he filled the empty chair on Cali's left.

I peeked inside the bag, smiling as I caught a whiff of the green biscuits with strong notes of pistachio. "Thank you."

"It's the signature biscotti at Royal Allure, but I mixed in cranberries and almonds 'cause I think you'll like them better," he added with a proud smile. "And don't share any with Aelius. That's his favorite."

I chuckled. "Yeah." I know. He ordered the same thing at Oasis on our first date. But of course I'd be mad to say that out loud.

I must say I was stuck in a daze until lunch was over and the desserts ran out like they were never present. I ate the last bite of my lemon ricotta cake and set the fork down. "Thanks for the meal," I said. "I'll do the dishes."

I'd already begun collecting the dirty plates and mugs when a pair of hands entered the scene and took the utensils. "Need a hand?"

I shook my head, grabbing the metals from him. "You cooked," I reminded Aelius who only gave me another one of his deep chuckles that set my cheeks ablaze again. Eventually I gave up and followed him to the kitchen while wrapped in a thick blanket of he gets me so flustered it's insane.

The two of us worked on cleaning up, with the guys playing beach volleyball outside filling the silence for us. Oftentimes I could steal chaste glances and look away fast when I'd catch him doing the same thing. I felt silly and stupid and so at ease.

"Happy birthday, Alon." My hands froze beneath the warm running water that flowed from the faucet when Aelius spoke. "Sorry for greeting you so late."

Damn, Eva, stop malfunctioning and continue scrubbing the damn dishes. "The timing's alright." Whether I said to him or to me, I had no clue. Either way, it was true—the timing was, indeed, alright. Our time apart dwindled away, and so did my mistake of thinking I'd gone back to square one.