14: Anchored

He wouldn't stop holding me.

Over the last three days, Aelius had been by my side, touring me around Royal Allure for hours and I was certain I had memorized the whole place already. He would intertwine our hands whenever they were free from holding drinks and taking pictures. Later on I ditched my phone altogether just so we could cross the distance for longer.

"Didn't know you could be so clingy," I jokingly said when he hugged me. He was waiting by the door as I changed into a blue polo shirt that ran just above my knees—it was his. I let Aelius watch me undress. Not like he hadn't seen everything already. When I approached him, though, he hid his red face in my neck.

A blushing mess. For me.

"You'll be the death of me someday, Alon," he muttered, laughing.

"V..."

He pulled away. "Yeah?"

"Ask me what my name is."

I felt him freeze. I looked up to him, his eyes a little wider, lips slightly ajar. I stood on my tiptoes to kiss him and he relaxed in an instant. His face chased after mine when I stopped.

"Okay." He cleared his throat. "*What's your name?"

"Evadne."

"Evadne," he repeated, the word rolling off his tongue so smoothly that I wanted him to chant it until the end of time. I didn't know my name could sound so lovely.

Aelius let out a sigh, reaching for my face and stroking my chin with his thumb. "But I'll call you Alon still."

"Hm?" I leaned to his touch. Gods, how awfully addicting. "Why?"

"Because I don't think anyone else calls you that."

"Huh. That's true."

"By any chance..." he trailed off, hands sliding to my waist and spinning me around so my back rested against the wall. "That night when we had dinner and I asked for the first time, did you make it up on the spot? Was that name for me?"

I scoffed and flicked his forehead. I walked away, leaving him no choice but to follow as we left the hallway. "Dream on, pretty boy."

But we both knew the answer to that. He was right; that nickname was made for him. It was made because of him.

And it was my favorite.

Upon our arrival in Italy, the cruise set their anchors down on the shoreline of Amalfi Coast. Aelius and I immediately left after he insisted that we go look around the place right away. I did not have enough time to admire the scenery on the coast. The bots were all vibrant, varying in sizes and structures. From the smallest sailboats to the fastest jet skis I caught wandering off, everything was so lively. From here I could see the rich, blue Mediterranean Sea.

"Let's be careful," I commented when he led me straight to a wide alleyway. "V, we might get lost."

"We won't, darling." He turned to me and flashed that charming smile of his. "This is my hometown. Non ti preoccupare." Don't worry, he said.

"Okay." I huffed. "Mi fido di te."

Because it was true. I trusted him.

We found a car for rent—a vintage convertible. Elton owned the exact model so I knew how to drive it, but I let Aelius take the wheel as I wanted to focus on the views of Salerno. He knew where we were going, too, and oftentimes I would steal glances at his direction and bask on his striking side profile, and his green eyes that never left the road. He was doing nothing yet I was here in the passenger's seat, internally swooning.

Soon enough, we entered Positano, one of the prettiest towns I had ever seen. Every house we passed by was painted with pretty pastels. Small, transient buildings and hotels were littered here and there, all bursting with colors. Aelius said we'd be saying the night here later on, and I beamed in excitement.

The car stopped near an open, grassless cliff. Aelius parked underneath a foliage, and together we sat on the edge of a big rock overlooking the ocean. From here I caught sight of boats as small as ants, sailing afar underneath the golden sun. I sighed in contentment, deciding to rest for a while. I used my hands as a pillow and lay down on the rough ground.

Aelius stared at me, his eyes filled with amusement and, what, adoration? He pushed away the hair that blocked my face and smiled. "Tired?"

I shook my head. "Surprisingly, no. I'm supposed to be working, though."

"Really?"

I chuckled. "Really. I don't really go on vacations or take paid leaves, either, so this is new. I'm not tired."

"Alon..." Aelius shifted in his seat so he faced me fully. "That's not healthy, you know."

"Take care of me, then," I teased.

"Do you want to?"

I stilled. It was a joke I didn't put much thought into, but he was serious. Aelius' eyes were trained on me, waiting for my answer, and it was as if the time halted for me to take in this moment. He was waiting for my answer because he already had his.

"Why? You wanna take care of me?" I asked.

"I will if you let me."

"But..."

"Don't think about it too much," he said and looked away. "I just...said it. No need to respond."

"V," I called. He didn't turn back. "What if I let you?"

"Then trust that I will care for you." Then, pause. It was a long one. He searched for his words and I patiently waited for him to speak again. "But what are we, Alon?"

What are we? The question replayed in my thoughts. We were two free and lonely people who sought temporary comfort just until reality brought us back to where we belonged. At least, that was what we were.

"What do you want us to be?"

"You know the answer to that," he said. "Let's date."

A quick answer, like he was fully on board, a hundred percent certain of what he wanted: me. Aelius wanted me, too.

I laughed, closing my eyes when the sun rays met me. "Ask properly."

His eyes found mine again. Offering a hand, he gestured for me to sit up. Then Aelius reached for his neck, taking out a golden necklace, his gaze lingering on the pendant for a short while. He unclasped the chains from his neck and leaned towards me.

"In my family, it is not custom to ask." He scooted closer until our knees touched. "We...we give this instead."

I took the time to admire the pendant. It was shaped like an anchor and encrusted in diamonds, all of which surrounded a small pearl at the top.

It was beyond beautiful.

"This is called the Ondata," Aelius said after a moment of silence. "A family heirloom passed down to every firstborn. It is then given to significant others for good luck and safe travels at sea. It symbolizes a strong bond, like a ship anchored safe and secure amidst the raging storm."

He let me touch the jewelry. "Significant other, huh?" I muttered, lips stretching to a smile. "So, if I wear it..." I reached behind, brushing my hair away, eyes never leaving Aelius.

"You're mine and I'm yours," he confirmed, his voice sounding like an unbreakable promise as he connected the chains on my neck. The cold pendant pierced my skin, and I welcomed the feeling, welcomed my new fate that was sealed by Aelius' next words.

"Anchored strong and secure in spite of the storm."

But we did not know how strong the storm would be.