6: Last Gift

When I first had the idea of stepping out of my comfort zone after I left my family, I clearly didn't think it through, nor did I know the real meaning of it.

I certainly did know now.

"You want to what?"

"Play tag there," V repeated, pointing to the sea. "We have two jet skis."

He wanted to play freaking tag. In the water. While riding jet skis.

Massaging my temples, I faced V who was now taking his shirt off. I certainly did not focus on his body until he put on a life vest, concluding that there were more pressing matters at hand.

"You'll have to teach me how to operate that," I said, bursting his once fun bubble. "Sorry."

"It's okay." There wasn't a hint of disappointment laced in his voice. "No need to feel bad, Alon. I'll teach you."

"You sure? After all that effort earlier..."

V shook his head, now laughing. "It's really okay."

On the way to Anguib, V had made a phone call and asked someone to "bring Nero and Bianca to the beach" earlier. When I asked what his plan was, he only said it was a surprise.

I didn't know Nero and Bianca were his jet skis, not friends he wanted to celebrate with. Staying true to their names, one was black, the other was white.

But we couldn't do what he wanted because I never rode a jet ski before. Heck, I'd never even gone to beaches for a long time now. I was always up there in the skies. I knew nothing of the sea.

V, like he promised, called me to hop on Nero. He now sat behind, arms enveloping me, hands firmly on the handles while mine were placed just beside his, and could be touching but not quite.

We finally set off, and I could hear him giving gentle instructions on what buttons to push and how to maneuver the watercraft the right way so we wouldn't fall. I listened with divided focus as I had to look ahead, process his words, and pray that I wouldn't get too lost in his voice instead.

I had been taking over the controls even before we were but a couple of feet away from the shore. V's hands were holding the seat straps now as we slowed down, muttering compliments when I adjusted the throttle just in time.

"You memorized Nero so fast," he commented as we slowed down. "I take it you're experienced?"

I shrugged. "You can say that."

"Knew it. What do you drive?"

I got off Nero with ease. "Airplanes," I replied in the most casual tone possible. Before he got the chance to respond, I took the key he offered and turned Bianca's engine on. "You still wanna play tag, pretty boy?"

He'd gotten used to the endearment, and so did I. I'd always been very blunt, but there was a clear line between that and shamelessness, and I wasn't sure if I was being the latter, but V didn't really mind. He knew he was pretty.

The sun was minutes from setting when we headed to a restaurant after that tiring noon at Anguib. We were tired and famished, and I believed a promising 8-course dinner would wrap up his birthday celebration and end it on a good note. Despite his protests, I did not let V pay. I had to vow that expenses were solely on me so he'd stop feeling guilty.

"So," V began as we ate, "do you wanna do anything else after this?"

"I should be the one to ask you that," I said, earning a soft chuckle from him. "If you're tired, this can be our last stop."

"Well, I'm not sore after all that swimming, but I'm honestly sleepy now."

"One more hour, then."

"How charming, Alon."

I lifted my head. "Charming?"

"You're charming," he confessed. "And cool. And I had fun today. The date's amazing."

No thanks to the candlelight situated on the middle of our table, he could probably see how flustered I was at the moment. I answered with a brief nod and shoved as many steak slices I could fit in my mouth so I had an excuse to cover my face. "Glad to know you like my company."

"I do," he said, and I mustered enough courage and shamelessness to meet his stare. It took him three seconds before he spoke again. "What brought you here in Cagayan?"

The first thing I thought of was not what I should answer, but a moment of relief that he changed the topic. And my mind was blank, still not having moved on from the situation that made my heart race a while ago. "Stuff," was my short response. "You?"

V's lips formed a knowing smirk as he grabbed his water. "Stuff," he replied just as he emptied the glass.

"Very funny, V."

"Aelius."

I froze. No way. "What?"

His smirk was now gone, bashfully replaced with that stupidly alluring smile. "You can call me Aelius."

A very tempting offer to address a beautiful man with an equally beautiful name.

But names were too powerful. So were commitments.

And I was nowhere near ready for both.

"I think I'll stick to V," I ended up saying, finishing off the statement with a casual laugh.

He didn't seem bothered by my preference. "Fine by me. No one really calls me that, so a new nickname isn't bad."

He walked me back to Myriad as it was dark outside when we finished our dinner after he insisted on doing so. I didn't mind stealing more minutes with him, so I just agreed. He said I should consider it my last birthday gift.

I stopped walking. "No."

V turned his heels and I was met with a confused expression. "What do you mean?"

Right. What the hell did I mean by that? Was it the itch in a part of my brain that I couldn't get rid of, now that the night with him was almost over? A stranger I felt strongly attracted to and wanted the company of? This beautiful stranger I was afraid of defining anything with, who just told me his real name with a smile?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I didn't really think about it, nor was my line of reasoning in a decent array when I closed the distance between us, held his face with both hands, and kissed him.

A part of me screamed in ridicule over my complete lack of consent, and I was about to pull away when I felt V's hand making its way to my waist and finding its place there like it was meant to stay. The other was on my neck as he deepened the kiss.

I finally pulled away and opened my eyes, and I was met by a smile that made my stomach do somersaults.

"Figured this should be my last gift," I muttered, my breaths short after he took it away. "Happy birthday."