32: Heimweh

Our boat sped towards Anguib Beach that same afternoon, when the sun had just begun setting in the west.

"We'll be okay," Aelius promised. I whipped my head to his direction and saw that he was watching my fingers restlessly fidget with the hem of my shirt.

Immediately I stopped and put my palm out instead. "Hold my hand?"

And he did.

We crossed the sea and walked down the road that led to Oasis, and every now and then he'd rub soothing circles on the back of my hand. It was as if the urge to take care of me was easier than breathing, and the way his eyes held their ground, unwavering when he looked at me, screamed a loud affirmation that we really would be okay.

So when we got to the café and were met by Dad's dead stare, my heart did not race like it used to at his presence. I calmly sat across from the president, and Aelius did the same on my left. I'd gone back to holding his hand before opening my mouth to speak.

"You have work tomorrow. Let's make this quick."

Dad took a sip of his black coffee and set it aside. Now I had his undivided attention, and gods, I did not waver. "Do you love him?"

I squeezed Aelius' faintly shaking hand. "Yes."

"Does he feel the same?"

Casting him a glance, I nodded. "Without a doubt."

I expected an argument to ensue, but he just...nodded back. It was the first time I witnessed Dad simply accept those declarations. Perhaps he'd already seen it coming, or prepared himself for it. Either way, this was new to him. To us.

His gaze drifted to Aelius. "Are you aware and prepared for everything that will happen the moment you marry an Alonzo?"

Marry? "Dad—"

My mouth zipped shut when he threw me a warning look. "Answer," he ordered Aelius.

"Yes, Signore."

"Do you accept that your life will change in more ways than one because of your decision to stay with my daughter?"

"I do."

"Do you..." Dad paused to sigh. It might be only him who had been feeling it since this conversation began, but the weight of his words fell heavily on my shoulders. And even before he went on, I already knew. I knew what he was about to say. "Do you love Evadne?"

I knew the answer.

"Without a doubt."

"Then this meeting is over," he concluded and stood up first. We followed, the both of us bowing our heads as Dad led the way out, his steps steady and sure, mirroring the acceptance that was not announced because he didn't need to.

"Call me when you return," he said to me before getting in his car. Dad's butler, as well as Miguel and Harmony, shared the open space with us. "You still have work due tomorrow."

I gave him a smile. "I'll fly back after lunch."

"Stop by the office."

"Will do, Sir."

Dad left as quickly as he arrived, and before I could process it, the meeting was adjourned. I breathed a sigh of relief and leaned on Aelius' chest as he pulled me in a tight hug, closing my eyes as he pressed a kiss to my forehead—a gesture that meant so much more. You did it, Alon, he seemed to say. You can love freely now. You can be free now.

We took the long route to Anguib Beach. Arguably a tiring approach to spending more time alone together before we went back to the celebration at home.

We sat on the sand as we waited for our boat's driver who was likely on a nearby food stall when I told him to take a break while we were away. The sun had completely gone down by now, and the only source of light that barely luminated the area was from the LED bulb of a vacant bahay kubo.

All of a sudden, Aelius shifted in place, reaching for his pant pocket. He took out a small, round box with blue trimmings and scooted closer to me. With twinkling eyes, he opened it.

"I found a shop in Rome that teaches customers how to make jewelry," he said as I beheld the sight of a gold band nestled inside of the box. "So I...I made you a ring."

I scoffed playfully as he removed it from the box and put it on me, the band wrapping my fourth finger like it was meant to be there. "You proposed too fast. I haven't even said yes yet," I joked.

"I will do that eventually," was his serious response. "For now, I'm leaving you with a promise."

"A promise?" There was nothing at the front, so I turned my hand to see the other side. Seven letters were embedded in the band. It was nothing close to perfect, but I loved it anyway. "Heimweh," I read the German word out loud. "It means 'homesick'."

"I want you to keep another part of me," he said, blue-green eyes glossing with tears. "This is my promise to wait until the time comes when I can replace it with another promise, and that is to marry you."

I inhaled sharply at his words. On this cold, eventful night where my world revolved around nothing but him, I was met with assurance that he would be with me in spite of every storm.

"Four years is a long time." I reached forward to wipe his tears with the pad of my thumb. "Are you willing to wait that long?"

Slowly, Aelius moved his head until his lips reached my palm. He kissed it softly, tenderly, like I was the most delicate thing in his world. "You'll be coming home in the end."

"That's right." I chuckled, keeping my focus on him so my tears wouldn't fall. "I'll be coming home to you."