5: Happy Birthday

"Are you sure this leads to a—"

"Yeah. It looks sketchy but I have good intentions, I swear."

I could feel V's eyes boring through me, possibly waiting for the slightest change in my expression, but I could only show him my excitement, partly because I didn't want him to think I was leading him somewhere dangerous.

Well, I hoped I was showing him excitement. Cali had often pointed out that I lacked expressions, and how it often would contradict my claims. I'd comment that I was happy, or depressed, or excited about a date, but the tone of my voice and unchanging demeanor said otherwise.

Fortunately for me, V hadn't had a word of complaint yet.

After exchanging numbers last night, I decided to invite him to brunch. The first place I thought of was, of course, Oasis. Despite it being far from where we met, V agreed immediately.

I already expected him to feel bad about not shouldering the date's expenses, but I assured him it was alright. I could care less about romance norms 101, and the invite came from me. It was a rule, according to Dad, and a matter of pride.

"All you have to do is enjoy the food, be pretty, and make the day worth spending," I had told him earlier. "Don't think about the money we'll spend."

"You're really excited," he mused just as we entered the café. "You must like this place very much."

"I do." I tried not to make it evident that I was surprised by his observation. That was a first. He noticed that I'm excited? I chanted internally. I could feel a soft blush filling my cheeks, so I turned away and pretended to search for available seats, though I was sure I looked stupid as there was nobody here but us.

Beside me, V whistled in delight. "You didn't rent the place for us, did you?"

I chuckled and pat his shoulder as I placed my purse on the nearest table. "That's silly. I won't do stuff like that yet."

"Yet?"

"Don't let that get to your head, pretty boy," I teased. "Now, what do you wanna eat?"

V took the seat in front of me, still partly distracted by the café's interior design, and shrugged as we both stared at the menu by the counter. "Do they have substitutions for birthday cakes?"

"Maybe. Let's check—wait, what?" In less than a second, my focus went from the menu to my date. "Today's your birthday and you didn't tell me beforehand? I could've prepared a gift."

He scratched his nape, his head slowly turning to me. "Surprise, I'm now 26...?" he said, unsure. "I don't really celebrate my birthday. Don't worry, it's not a big deal. This is just another workday."

"Then let's pretend we're celebrating for me," I offered. I sounded like Elton just now, and the realization caused me to pause and consider taking it back, but I didn't see a point in doing that. I blamed it on the melancholia I had been feeling lately. I might be shit at showing it, but I missed my siblings.

"Whatever floats your boat, Alon."

V did not waste another second when he saw the pistachio biscotti on the menu. He wanted me to choose his drink, so I ordered flat white for us both.

"Let me guess, that's your favorite blend?"

I shook my head. "My younger sister's, actually," I continued the conversation while our food was being made. "Oftentimes I catch her making it in the middle of the night every exam season. Everen has an awfully simple palate."

"Tell her she has good taste," V mused. "Everen..." I heard him mutter.

"Why?" My brows contorted into a frown. "What's with her name?"