We Hail the Taxi of Strange Numbers

Come yell at me on my tumblr: Percabeth4Life
Come chat with me on discord: https://discord.gg/3tGNJhu

OO OO OO OO

Annabeth was waiting for us in the alley down Church Street. She pulled us both off the sidewalk just as a fire truck went past, siren wailing.

"Where'd you find him?" she demanded, pointing at Tyson.

I blinked, I would normally be delighted to see her. Really, she was a good friend of mine and I'd been worried about her being at home. But I was just attacked, found out some of my friends were guards for me (and oh didn't I feel dumb for missing the signs), and now she was glaring at Tyson, my friend. I never had gotten around to telling her I had a Kyklopes friend but really-

"He's my friend," I said firmly.

"Is he homeless?"

I took a deep breath, "Yes he is. And he can hear you. Why don't you ask him?"

She scowled, "Talk to him? He can talk?"

"I talk," Tyson assured her. "You are pretty."

"Ah! Gross!" She stepped away with her nose scrunched up in disgust.

I scowled, "What's your problem with him? He's my friend. And he helped fight the Laist-rie-gons."

"Laistryonians, and I'm surprised they had the guts to attack you with him there. Doesn't change what he is though."

Tyson tried to reach out and touch Annabeth's blonde hair, his eye wide, but she smacked his hand away.

I gently tugged him back while shooting her a frown.

"Annabeth, leave him alone. He hasn't done anything wrong and just because he's a Kyklopes-"

"You know that he's a Kyklopes and still hang out with him," she asked with a sour look.

"Yeah?" I said in confusion. "Why wouldn't I? He hasn't hurt anyone."

She shook her head, "We need to get out of here."

I frowned at the abrupt change of topic but allowed it for the moment. Tyson didn't need to hear her insults.

"Why? I mean other than the cops coming after me... again."

"I told you about my dreams of camp, right?"

I nodded.

"They've gotten worse. There's big trouble there."

I frowned, "What kind of trouble?"

"I'm not sure yet, but monsters have been chasing me all the way from Virginia. Have you had a lot of attacks?"

I shook my head, "This was the first one all year... though..."

"Though what?"

"Just... I'm pretty sure a few of my classmates are supposed to be guarding me."

She blinked. "Oh... well-"

Tyson raised his hand, "Giants in the gym called Percy... Son of the Sea God?"

"Er... yeah. I'm the son of Poseidon."

He frowned, looking confused. "But then..."

A siren wailed as a police car raced past our alley.

"We don't have time for this," Annabeth interrupted. "Percy, do you have a drachma?"

"Not with me? I have some in my apartment though."

"You don't carry them?"

I shrugged, "I normally do but mine are currently in the locker room with my bag from Triton so..."