Chapter 31

Spencer POV

I paced around the living room waiting for JJ and Rachel to get home. When JJ called me she seemed angry. She just told me that I needed to get home as fast as I can. I can't think straight. I tried to get her to tell me what was happening but she hung up on me. She won't answer any of my calls. I hear foot steps approaching the door and the door handle turns allowing JJ and Rachel in. JJ looks angry. Her face is beating red and her movements are swift and edgy. She rushes in the door and throws her purse on the couch. Then I see Rachel. Her face is swollen. A mixture of black and blue. Her eye is almost closed completely. I rush over to her and inspect her trying not to touch her face. "Rachel honey, what happened?" Right as Rachel was about to answer JJ interrupted. "Kate Callahan is what happened!" I stood up feeling confused, Rachel still clutching to my pant leg. "What do you mean by that?" JJ rubbed her hands on her face and took a moment to breath. I rubbed her arm to calm her down. "Kate's daughter just beat the shit out of Rachel!" I was shocked by her use of language in front of Rachel. She seemed to feel the same way because she covered her mouth and her eyes went wide. Through her hands she gasped out "I-I'm so sorry, I don't know where that came from" I hugged her tightly to calm her down.

JJ paced around the room and nothing I could say or do could get her to stop freaking out about this. I interrupted her argument with herself. "Do you think we need to take Rachel to the hospital?" We both peaked over at Rachel who was happily playing with her dolls. She didn't look any better, still swollen. "Rachel come over here for a minute" JJ called. Rachel stood up and walked over our way. She had a limp when she walked that I hadn't noticed before. JJ looked over at me "Grab the keys"

We sat in the tiny hospital room waiting to see the doctor. Rachel was getting restless sitting on the bed. "Please sit still, the doctor will be here any minute" I set my hand in her shoulder. She let out a huge puff of air in frustration. JJ seemed to get more frustrated with eat second that passed. The doctor finally walked in and took one look at Rachel and his face lite up. "Oh my, what happened here?" I spoke up. "She had a little, problem with some of her classmates" He nodded his head. He quickly inspected her face and arms where the major brushing was. "There doesn't appear to be any broken bones but her face will be quite sore for the next few days" The doctor scribbled down on a note pad. "Just give her these medications and she should be fine" I stood up and shook his hand. "Thank you" I walked out carrying Rachel in my arms. I look over a JJ and see her phone light up, the contact on the screen was Kate Callahan.