Chapter 27

Spencer's POV

Working has become much more difficult since Rachel was born. Since JJ and I both have the same job and we work ridiculous hours, JJ decided it was best if she took some time off until Rachel is old enough to stay home by herself. She still comes into work occasionally if there is small work that needs to be done like paper work. It's hard with only one of working because we need to be able feed three people and Rachel loves her dresses and fairies. JJ usually picks her up from school but since I was home I wanted to do it. She loves school. She is always telling me about her friends and her teacher. She is always bringing home drawings and arts and crafts. Rachel jumps into the backseat and does up her seat belt. "How was school today honey?" I start the car and drive out of the parking lot. "It was good" She stared out the window in silence. I was confused. She always had so much to say. "Is everything okay?" She turned to face me and nodded. "Yep everything is fine dad" She barley said another word the rest of the way home. When we walked into the front door she went straight to her room and closed the door behind her. She didn't seem mad or upset, just distant. "What's up with her?" JJ asked. With a puzzled look on my face I replied "I don't know, she didn't speak the whole way home" I slowly walked up to her bedroom door with JJ following close behind. I turned the knob and walked in her room. She was sitting on the corner of her bed stroking one of her dolls hair. In a high pitched, caring tone JJ spoke "Hi darling, how was school?" She went and crouched beside the bed and rested her hand on Rachel's arm. "It was good" She said the same thing in the car. "Is there something you want to tell mommy?" "Nope" JJ paused for a moment. "Did you play blocks with Alexis today?" "Mhm" Rachel didn't look up from her doll. Maybe I was wrong, maybe she hated school, maybe she was being picked on. What it is she was hiding something from us. I decided I needed to assist. "Rachel" She looked up from her doll. "You know you can tell us anything" I tried to comfort her. "I'm not hiding anything I swear" Rachel looked panicked. JJ and I both stood up. She whispered in my ear "What do you think?" I walked out into the living room and closed Rachel's door behind me. In a hushed tone I continued the conversation. "I don't know" I crossed my arms over my chest. JJ started pacing. "I'm worried, what if something happened at school?" "Let's try not to worry about it to much, if it's important she will say something sooner or later" JJ hugged me "Yeah, your right"

My alarm beeped loudly and I reached over quickly and shut if off so I didn't wake the girls. I got ready for work at 5 am like I do almost every morning. I left a note on the counter for JJ and kissed Rachel on the forehead. When I arrived at work it looked like Santa's workshop on Boxing Day. Everyone was walking around dreary eyed with a cup of coffee in their hands not even conscious of the world yet. I made myself a cup of coffee and went to my desk. I sat there sipping the sugar loaded hot beverage when Garcia walked over. "Morning hot stuff!" I moaned at her happy expression. "Oh wake up you piece of slumped apple pie!" I rubbed my eyes. "What does that even mean?" She shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, the brain says what it wants weather it makes sense or not.... well mine anyway" She kept walking but stopped and made her way closer to my desk. She lightly punched me in the shoulder. "Hey what's up?" I sighed. She could tell I was about to say something so she pulled up a chair. "It's Rachel" Garcia's face sank "What happened?" She was the only person I told about the mysterious 'Ice Cream Man' "No, nothing happened, that I know of" I took another sip of my coffee. "She isn't talking, she isn't the same bubbly Rachel" "Maybe it's just a phase?" "I don't know it came out of nowhere" "Have you tried talking to her?" "Yeah, both JJ and I, she just keeps answering with words like good, and nope. I'm starting to worry." Garcia and I both sat in silence staring at each other.