Chapter 20 - She's Broken

Jasper's POV

"Well, Jasper, I'll let you know in a couple of days whether or not this is going to go ahead." Stephen Hardman, the CEO of Hardman & Co, informed as he stood up. "Until then."

"Of course, Stephen. I look forward to hearing from you."

Nodding politely, he picked up his briefcase and exited my office leaving me even more pissed than I was upon his unwelcomed arrival.

He along with my mysterious girlfriend were driving me to the brink of insanity, but more so my girlfriend.

Any blind fool could see how much she loathed herself and the very thought of that made my blood boil in anger.

Scarlett was the epitome of beautiful. Not only on the outside but, God, the inside was even more beautiful and that kind of beauty was rare to come by for somebody like me – I just wished she could see that for herself.

I hurled everything which was sat on my desk in sheer anger, sending everything crashing to the ground, not noticing Scarlett come in.

"Jasper?" She called out softly as I looked up at her, remaining silent.

She smiled sadly at me as she proceeded to pick up the mess I made, placing everything back in its original place before she walked back to the door closing it slowly, making her way back to my desk.

"I'm so sorry, Jasper." She said, her voice cracking slightly.

"Hey," I murmured, standing up and guiding her to the couch, still confused. "What's the matter, Scarlett?"

"Why did you choose me?"

"Scarlett, I -"

"I'm not wealthy. My father is a deranged psychopath who's in prison and my mother left us and... And just look at me."

"I am." I told her because in that moment there was nothing more beautiful than her.

Absolutely nothing.

"I'm sorry," she barely whispered as she began to back out of the office. I grabbed her arm and pulled her back gently wrapping my arms around her small frame, feeling her body wracked with sobs as I pulled her impossibly closer.

"Hey," I murmured into her soft hair as her sobs died down into sniffles.

We stood like this for fifteen minutes in complete silence and I swear that in that very moment I had never felt so content my whole life. I had never felt so satisfied. So proud. So happy. And I owed it all to a woman who had been strong for too long.

"I want you to go to my place and go straight to bed," I told her, using my index finger to tilt her chin upwards.

"Okay," she agreed quietly, to my surprise. I had most definitely not expected her to comply with that so easily.

"Smith will be here in ten minutes, okay?"

"Thank you, Jasper," she gave me a small smile, before burying her face in my chest, inhaling deeply as I kissed the top of her head.

"I'll see you in a few hours, okay?"

"Okay," she said softly as she left, closing the door behind her.

Taking a seat at my desk, I wondered what the matter was with Scarlett. We hadn't argued or fought, but she wasn't letting me in.

But I knew one person who would know what was wrong with my beautiful girlfriend.