Chapter Forty Four

Derek

"What do you say we get out of here?" I said, holding a Cam tightly against my chest as we laid in bed tangled up together. Last night, after our conversation, she fell asleep in my arms and we stayed that way until morning. We both slept solidly and had only woken up a few minutes ago.

"Here like bed?" Cam asked, glancing up at me. Her eyes were red and swollen from crying the night before, but she had the cutest little playful smile on her lips. I knew it hadn't been easy for her to tell me all of that, but I could already tell it didn't feel so heavy on her this morning.

"Here like New York." I kissed her forehead. "I have no intention of getting out of this bed today."

"Mmm." She snuggled deeper into me. "Staying in bed all day sounds great, but I don't think Riley will go for that."

"Already taken care of. Kate and Cole are taking the girls to Coney Island today and Riley is going to tagalong. In fact, I'm betting Cole already picked her up. That's why it's so quiet around here."

"You just think of everything, don't you?"

"Well, this was purely selfish. I need some time with you to myself." I smirked, tilting her chin up and pressing my lips to hers. I knew after what she experienced, Cam probably wasn't ready to be intimate yet. But I was happy right here. Just holding her in my arms and talking. I would never take the little things like this for granted again.

"But I'm serious. Pick a place and we'll get away for a few weeks. Maybe even months. Whatever you want."

"Don't you have to work?" She was skeptical.

"I'm not going to be working for a while." I said. "Will and I have decided that we're going to go completely legitimate with the company and cut all ties with organized crime."

"Wow. Really?" She sat up a bit, leaning on her elbow.

I nodded. "I have a family now. It's not worth the risk. And that means I can work anywhere."

Cam's face lit up. "How about San Diego?"

"Perfect."

"Or Seattle."

"Even better."

"Or we could just go back to Vancouver. Riley really loved it there."

"I love it there too." I smiled. "We'll go where ever you want. New York is nice, but it's bogged down with a lot of bad memories, and I think we all could use a fresh start."

"I think a fresh start sounds great."

Camryn

Derek's phone started to ring, and he rolled his eyes as he reached for it. "Hello?"

I couldn't tell who was on the other end, but Derek seemed irritated.

"Oh." He said suddenly, his eyes widening. "OK, that's great, thanks!"

"Who was that?" I asked as he hung up.

"Will." He said. "He's bringing something up. Would you mind getting the door?"

I arched my eyebrow at him in confusion. "Why can't you?"

"Because I don't have any clothes on."

"Neither do I." I let out a sharp laugh. Why was he acting so strange?

"Yeah, but it's easier for you to get dressed. It'll just take a minute." He said, trying to hide his grin. Something was definitely going on.

"I thought I was supposed to be resting?"