Chapter Thirty Eight

***Trigger Warning: This chapter contains heavy themes of domestic and sexual violence. Please take care of yourself and skip if you feel this may be triggering for you. If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence of any kind, please reach out to someone in your community. In the US, that number is 1-800-799-7233**

Camryn

I must have fallen asleep at some point because when I opened my eyes again, it was dark outside. Robby hadn't been back, which was both a relief and terrified me. If he wasn't here, he was probably with Riley, and that was the very last thing I wanted. After seeing how she reacted to him, and then how he reacted to her denial, I feared the very worst.

I stood up to try the door but stumbled a few times, the pain in my head unbearable. Every inch of my body ached and my vision was getting blurry. I made it to the door and tried desperately to turn the knob, but he'd locked it again. I was trapped in here and he was out there with my daughter. All I could do was hope and pray he wasn't demented enough to hurt Riley.

I had no idea what had become of Derek. If he was able to, I knew he would be turning over every single stone to try to find us. But Robby texted me from Derek's phone, which made me think something had happened to him.

Robby's mom told him to "clean up the mess", and at the very least, I assumed that meant get rid of me. He had nothing to lose; he was already on trial for my murder. I couldn't let that happen, though. If he killed me, Riley would be stuck with him and I couldn't stand the thought. I had to protect myself and to protect her any way I possibly could. If he was going to kill me, it would not be without a fight. I glanced around the room, trying to figure out what I could use as a weapon when he came back.

My plans were interrupted when the door flew open. Robby appeared, with a disgusting grin on his face.

"Trying to go somewhere, baby?" He slammed it shut behind him.

"Is Riley okay?" I asked, reaching out for the bedpost to steady myself. I was so dizzy I could hardly bear my own weight.

"She's fine. Watching a movie in her room." He snapped. "Ready to continue our fun? I've been dreaming of this moment for months. Every single night I sat in that jail cell, I thought about what it would be like to fuck you again."

He pushed me down onto the bed and hovering over me.

"I'm not having sex with you." I gritted my teeth, trying to shove him off.

"You're going to do whatever the hell I say, Camryn. Because if you don't, I'll kill you and I'll make Riley watch. And then I'll kill her, too."

I swallowed the lump in throat. "What happened to you?"

Robby chuckled. "Just lay back and enjoy it, baby."

The more I struggled against him, the harder he held me. His hands pinning my wrists to the bed and his knee on my thigh. As much as I squirmed and wiggled, I couldn't get away. "Get off of me!" I screamed, fighting with everything I had. If I could just get a little leverage...

Robby's fist hit my face. "There's the fight I've been looking for." He hit my cheek again, and this time I tasted blood. I was trying as hard as I possibly could, but I was no match for his strength.

There was a knock on the door. "Mommy? Are you okay? Mommy?"

Oh no. She must have heard me screaming.

"Stupid brat." Robby stood up, rolling his eyes. "It's time she learns some respect."

Robby charged towards the door and I knew it was now or never. I had to protect Riley. Even if I died trying, I couldn't let him hurt her.

I grabbed the lamp from the bedside table, right as Robby threw the door open.

"Didn't I tell you to stay in your room?" He hissed, raising his hand to strike her.

Before he could, I hit him on the side of the head with the lamp, momentarily throwing him off. It wasn't heavy, but it was enough to make him stagger backwards and buy me a few minutes.

I bent down, putting both of my hands on Riley's shoulders. "Run, baby." I begged through my tears. "As fast as you can. And find somewhere to hide."

Riley nodded through her tears and took off right as Robby grabbed me by my hair and threw me to the ground.

"You stupid bitch." He kneeled on my chest, wrapping his hands around my throat. "I should have killed you months ago when I had the chance."

I couldn't breathe, as his grip tightening. I wrestled against him, but underneath his weight, I was stuck.

Derek

It had been about eight hours since Robby had taken Cam and Riley. Just about anything could have happened in that amount of time. I had to believe they were still okay, and that I could find them before it was too late. I couldn't even let my mind think about the viciousness he was capable of. Whenever I thought about the possibilities of what he was doing to them, I nearly threw up.

They had been mine to protect, and I had failed miserably.

Will And Cole sat across from me, scouring toll booth footage. I was trying to do the same, but I kept getting distracted. I had never been so invested in a case before and it was absolutely killing my mental focus. I knew they needed me to be sharp. They needed me to handle things the way I normally would, but it was so fucking hard to do when I knew the danger they were in.

My phone rang in my pocket and I pulled it out, shocked to see Riley's face pop up on the screen. I had completely forgotten about the laptop. Not only could I trace it, but I had taught Riley how to FaceTime when we were making spaghetti.

"Riley?" My voice cracked as I answered the call.

"Derek..." Her little voice was sobbing on the other end of the line. "Can you come get us?"

"I'm on my way, baby. Where are you?" I asked, grabbing my keys and coat. Will and Cole followed close behind, unsure of what exactly was happening.

"We're at grandma and grandpa's." She cried. "Come quick. Daddy's hurting mommy."

"I'll be there in just a few minutes." I assured her. "Sid Hastings House." I mouthed to Will as we hoped into the car. "Are you okay, Ry?"

"Yeah..." I could hardly understand her through her cries. "But you have to hurry. Mommy is bleeding."

"Are you with your mommy, Ry?" My thought tightened. Both the thought of Cam being in pain and Riley witnessing it was awful.

"No, she's with my daddy. She told me to hide, but I remembered how to call you, like you said when I needed help or wanted to see you."

"You did so good, Riley. I'm on my way, okay?" I fought back my own tears. "I'll talk to you until I get there, okay?"

"Okay." She agreed.

"Where are you hiding?" I asked her, silently cursing the other cars on the road. I couldn't stand to waste a second before getting to them.

"I'm in the closet." She said.

Suddenly, I heard Camryn's muffled screams and the sound of wood splintering as if someone had broken down a door.

"Mommy!" Riley shirked, and then I heard a click.

"Riley?" My heart stopped. "Riley, can you hear me? Are you there?"