Chapter Twenty Three

***Trigger Warning: This chapter contains heavy themes of domestic violence and miscarriage. Please take care of yourself and skip if you feel this may be triggering for you. If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence of any kind, please reach out to someone in your community. In the US, that number is 1-800-799-7233**

Derek

I got up early to make coffee and bring it to Cam before she got up, still feeling unsettled about how we left things and wanted to explain a little better about what it wasn't possible for her to contact her dad. I was up all night trying to think of a way I could pull it off for her, but it just wasn't safe. Especially right now, when things were so fresh.

When I got out into the kitchen, she beat me to it. She was standing with her back to me in a pair of shorts and just a sports bra, hair pulled back into a high ponytail and her skin glistening with sweat.

"You're up early." I walked up behind her, wrapping my arms around her and kissing her neck.

Cam smiled. "I wanted to go for a run before Riley woke up. Are you hungry? I'm making omelets!"

"Starving." I kissed her again, smirking. "But I don't think an omelet is going to satisfy this type of hunger." I trapped her against the counter with my hips. "I missed you last night."

Cam rolled her eyes, batting at me playfully. "I missed you, too."

"I don't really like how we left things last night. I wanted to finish talking about..."

"Derek, it's fine." She cut me off abruptly and turned back to the stove. "I get it. There is nothing else to take about. Really, I promise I'm fine. Can we just drop it?"

I wasn't completely convinced, but I humored her and changed the subject. "Sure. How was your run?"

"It was good." She smiled, dishing up an omelette and handing the plate to me. "But I think some kind of wild animal got stuck in the shed outback. I heard all kinds of wrestling around and, like, squeaking or something."

My eyes widened, and I nearly dropped the plate to the floor. "You were by the shed?"

She nodded. "I tried to open the door to let whatever it was out, but it was locked."

Thank God it was locked. How the fuck would I explain that one? I didn't want to even think about what would've happened if she had gotten inside and seen Jason tied up.

"Okay, no worries. Will and I will take care of it today."

"What will we take care of?" Will asked, coming out of the guestroom.

"Good morning!" Cam grinned, handing him an omelet as well.

"Cam thinks an animal got stuck in the shed. She heard it making all kinds of noise this morning when she was running."

"An animal?" Will let out a sharp laugh." That's not an animal, Cam. That's ..."

I shot him a nasty glare before he could go any farther. He didn't know I hadn't really elaborated to Cameron on what I did, and he was about to blow the entire thing. Luckily, he could read my expression and changed his course. "Probably the fan out there. Sometimes leaves get caught in the blades and it can make a thumping sound."

"And squeaking." I added.

"Yeah, we'll definitely take care of that today." Will said quickly.

"Great." She said, sliding a second plate toward me. This one had an omelette on it also, but a face was made on it with strawberries and blueberries. "I decided I'm going to go into town with Mrs. Leonard and Riley when they go to the library today, so I need to go shower. Will you make sure she eats this when she wakes up?"