Chapter 13

The next morning, I woke up from the voices of men fighting over something, and until I heard the punches, I knew that was my cue to leave and look more. I inspected my leg, but it grew a lot more worse. Whatever that monster was, it's venom wasn't pretty. Green soft spots started growing in the outside, and the blood of mine grew more dark, leaving the cut open. Eyes darted my way when I limped, with no bandage or whatsoever over my infection. But half of the people didn't care, as Ketterdam was already full of worse damages. There was no doctor to see, but I looked around, unbelievably just hoping to see at least the bright colors of a kefta. But the poor city was only full of old dirty hags, and kids who slid their hands down people's pockets. 

The air felt damp, and the smell over the food smelled worse than ever on the south side. I saw I then felt something soft against my pants. I catched a kid struggling to find kruge on me. My hand was tight around his wrist in a second, and his eyes widened with fear. 

" Impressive, boy! " I glowed " But not impressive enough. Next time, bump into someone, and then take." the boy froze, and stood there staring at me, listening carefully. " Like this." I said, demonstrating myself strutting toward a middle aged man, and bumping into him, making his bottle of alcohol clash to the floor in pieces. 

" Oi! What the bloody hell do you think you're doing?!" he yelled, as heads turned our way, and chatter slowed down. 

" My apologies, sir" and I bowed down to help him, but my leg pinched with pain again. I turned myself behind him and reached into his long knitted jacket, so fast, no one around us even noticed. Until the boy started snickering out of nowhere. The man shot his face towards the retched boy, which he stopped joking around, and froze again. 

" You! Come here, boy, and clean this up!" and he pointed his finger at me " And you! I don't care if you bleed, but clean this rubbish up!!" 

The boy shivered and instantly swept himself to the floor, using his shirt as a napkin to soak the beer in. He cleaned as fast as he could, but the man slammed his cane on the boy's hand, which cracked, and he gave out a yell that made all the people this time stare at what was happening. 

" Faster, you idiot!" the selfish man roared

I stood up and kept the kruge tight in my palms, and punched the guy hard in the face, and he fell backwards in an instant. Gasps filled the air, and people started darting towards us, but I grabbed the boy's other hand and dragged him with me. We ran into an dark aisle between two houses, until I tripped over barrels hidden with beer inside of it. My leg burned so much I groaned  through my teeth chatted together. But I pushed my knuckled to the ground, and for up immediately,pulling the boy's arm again toward me. Angry voices echoed the walls behind us, and I limped faster, ignoring the pain searing through my infected leg. The voices grew louder, but we kept running.

We went into another dark aisle, but a dead end sent goosebumps up my skin. " Wait, up here!" said the boy, climbing up a ruddy ladder, but it looked unstable to me. I quickly climbed over it, and jumped on the top of the roof, as the view of Ketterdam was right in front of us. The next house was far impossible to jump over to. 

" Come on,chaps! There they are! " the voices said behind me, and I faced the boy. 

"We're gonna jump on three." 

" JUMP?!" the boy shrieked

" If you're brave enough to jump, I'll give you the kruge." I said quickly. The boy hesitated, but I shaked him, letting him know they're coming, and he finally agreed. 

" Now one, two.." and right before footsteps rumbled before us," Three!" 

I broke into a run, and jumped off the railing, letting my tiptoes give me force, shutting my eyes open with no hesitation. The wind pushed me back, but before I knew it, my back slammed onto bricks of the other roof, leaving me coughing. The men groaned with anger on the other house, and left with no hesitation. I huddled around looking for the kid, but he was nowhere to be  found. " Kid!" I yelled, looking around everywhere, until a cry made me running to the tip of the railings, and the boy was dangling from the roof , with only one hand grasped tight onto the bricks. " You had to make me babysit, didn't you?!" I laughed, reaching for his sweaty hands. I pulled him forward, and he bursted out crying. 

" Don't make me regret saving you, kid. " I got up and looked at my leg. It was getting worse. 

" Come on. Wipe those tears of yours, and get on your feet." 

The boy got up, and looked at me like I was crazy. " You look familiar." he said, wiping his tears away. I stopped for a second, and looked down at him, wondering how would he know. 

The Darkling. That wretched little- 

" Pardon me? But are you alright?" the boy asked, detecting my anger.

" What's your name." I spurted out

" Edgar." 

" Parents?" 

"Dead." 

" Age." 

" 13"

" Huh." I said " Good enough." 

" G-good enough?!"  Edgar stuttered " Well yeah, it's not like I jumped off a bloody roof!!" 

" Oh, please! I've done that a thousand times when I was only 9.

A pause. " How?" Edgar asked softly. He had to ask that didn't he. I didn't want to talk about it. Or to anyone. I answered it in my head: Father. But instead of admitting it, I asked Edgar another question " Do you know a doctor?" 

" Yeah, he's my best friend. Good chap he is to-"

" I'm heartfelt. Let's go, I need help." I dragged him again by his arm, until he let out a squeak. I let go and already noticed the idiot guy broke his hand. 

" We'll get that fixed too, but we need food." I opened my hand, to see the handful of kruge was still on my sweaty palms. 

" Hey!" the boy fussed " You said if I survive the jump, you'll give me the money!" 

I looked at him like he was a complete waste of time. He was, really. " What is it that you need more greater than food right now?!" 

He let out a big sigh, and groaned " Fine..but I get a full meal! I'm parched." 

I rolled my eyes, and we went down another ladder down to the wall, as I dropped on the ground, trying to walk as soft as possible. We can't trust anyone here now. A loud thump made me turn around fast with my fist clenched. But only Edgar stared at me with wide eyes, and whispered " Sorry." 

I was going to choke him. We then walked normally onto the center of the villages, but each building changed with dirtier colors, and we could know that  the bars were closer. Edgar suddenly sniffed the scent in " Mmmm. I can smell the beer..." 

I turned around fast again, and stared at him disbelieved. " You drink alcohol?!" 

Edgar clicked his tongue " Well...yeah. Ketterdam's a free place, right?" he didn't look at all disturbed, until a pushed him in front of me and said " Not for thirteen year-olds, no!!" 

Edgar then stopped instantly, which made me bump into him, as I was so close to cursing him, until a big building was set in front of us. A big wooden crow was placed as the logo, and Edgar started whooping excitedly, walking forward as I grabbed the back of his coat. 

" Oh, no. I'm not letting a thirteen year old into a dangerous bar." 

" Well then, what do I do?!" he shouted

I looked around a thought of an idea to keep him safe, until my question was answered. A dirty long brown cloak was laying on a barrel at the corner of a small aisle. 

I smirked pleasantly.