Chapter 8

I turned the door handle, but I let go of it. Hesitation was repeating in me again, as I let out a big breath of a sigh, and tightened my palm over my pants, which my dagger was secretly hidden beneath it. I relaxed me fingers over the handle again, and opened it quietly with a big creak. The wall was all white painted, and the Darkling's symbol of the moon with sun was all held in his tapestries and objects. The ceiling was coated all black, with golden stars and nicely painted clouds designed all over it. There was no window, no glow of light wherever. Just darkness. A big round table stood in the middle of the room, painted in wood maple brown, as the Darkling was revealed standing over it.

He wore his black silk robe, the same one I was wearing. I let out a choke of disgust, which startled the Darkling, as he turned his head over his shoulder. " I was expecting you." he said softly. I held my chin high in the air, and said " I didn't ! " 

He chuckled under his breath, and turned around. He still had that cold beautiful face of his, with his dark black eyes. " We need to discuss of your abilities." he said. I let out a big grunt, but his eyes to mine went down to my clothes. " You're not wearing the dress I gifted you?" he asked with disappointment. 

I scoffed with disrespect, and pointed out, " There was more skin than clothes, actually. "  The Darkling only just gave me another soft chuckle, and waved his hand to a chair below a different table next to the main one. But I just stood there, lifting my right brow with suspicion " Please." he said. But with respect. I hated it. I didn't want it. But instead, I sat on a chair across from him, and stayed silent. 

Until, he startled me with his shouting voice. " David! " he said as a man from the two doors calmly entered, and he just stared at me, when he twitched and went into another room. I saw he wore a purple beautiful kefta, with a gray belt wrapped around his waist both sides, and the silver markings of design on the fabric sleeve to neck. By the color of the kefta, I could've tell that he was a Fabrikator. My thoughts were interrupted by David coming out again, as he was still looking at me. Two glass cups designed with gold painted over the lips were settled in his hands, as he set them onto the table in front of us. He looked familiar. So I speaked to him, " You look familiar. " was all I can say. But he just let out a gulp as he looked like he was going to vomit. " Have I seen you before? " I asked. I was expecting a reply from him, but he just jolted out of the door. I let out a scoff, as I murmured, " I see you teach them well. " I sarcastically said. The Darkling only got up, and I tightened my palm over my pants to the dagger strapped to my leg. But he only just crossed his arms over his chest and stood there silently, looking at nothing.  " Yes, he's one of my favorites." 

The way he said it was as his Grisha were toys for him to play with. " You're fond of that dreadful Squaller girl, I insist? " I sneered, as I remembered the time when she gave me a dreadful wound on my ribs, leaving a scar. I saw the corner of the Darkling's mouth rise up, and he turned my way again, giving me that stupid charming face again. That's when a maid came pouncing through the door, and two silver plates were held at the palm of her hands, filled with different sorts of foods, when she set it down on the table, and left suspiciously. I just sat there, looking at the food, with a cold hard face. The Darkling just sat down, and offered me to eat. 

" Please, help yourself. You must be starving." 

Yeah, no thanks to you, you ungrateful moron. I just gave him my sharp eyes, but he just gave me a calm, annoying face, wherescars stretched. The room was just quiet, awkward, so I held a fork, and ate my food. The Darkling's mood turned joyful as he watched me eat, so I stopped. " I don't think anyone can eat when someone's watching them like they're dinner." I snarled. The Darkling just lifted his shoulders, and started digging into his food too. There was portions of  cabbages, cauliflower, beans, chicken, and rice placed before me. I pushed the plate, feeling sick eating fresh food, as I never did my whole life. But the Darkling just watched me, and stopped his eating too. I only just scoffed and said, " Ohhhh, you're good." He was trying to win over me, and keep me here. Not gonna happen. 

But the Darkling only looked my way, as he said, " You know you're special, right? "  I only kept my head down for seconds in silence, and replied, " You know you're a sick maniac, right? " 

The Darkling only twitched his eye, and continued, " I was very young when I found out I had a power like this. I was....different." I didn't want to hear this. I didn't want to hear any of this, of how I have darkness spreading through my veins. Of how I killed three men when I was only 12. Of how my mothers blood was on me. Of how I lost Mal. The Darkling still continued, " Like you." I shot up, and stared at a wall, trying to blur his words out. Like you. Like you. Like you. " I never discovered something like this." Something. Something. Something. 

His words were still hitting against my head. " I had to disguise you. We don't want people blustering about a Shadow Summoner is staying with the Darkling. " Shadow Summoner. Shadow Summoner. Shadow Summoner. My head was burning, and my eyes felt black, as my veins were dark. The Darkling's words made the anger in me rise up, until he said, " You will be training with my Grisha from here, now. You are on of us now." he sputtered. Those final words ended me. 

And then, I bursted into the darkness.