Chapter 3

He studied me, looking at my hair, to my dress. His face and body was washed and new, his scars were still visible across his face, but faded. His new black kefta was revealed with no more rips, but replaced with a beautiful black jeweled design as shadows spreading across his shoulders to his back. His hair was shaped down, as It took hours to clean each piece of hair. A ring wrapped around his knuckles, strong veins reaching down his hand. I bit my lip, almost tripping over a bucket, and the Darkling stopped walking towards me, and lifted his chin up, making a charming handsome  face towards me. 

" Are you afraid of me? Zahra Oretsev." he chuckled in his breath

" I'm never afraid of you. " Lie. " I never was." Another lie. 

" Good. Not that much people really have that same opinion." he said. His voice was so sarcastic , I knew, he knew I was lying. 

" I think I know how." I said with anger in my voice. The Darkling chuckled, chuckled, and a pause stole the room, as he sat down on a table, looking over at all the cloths soaked with blood. My blood. " It seems you had a rough time here, didn't you?" he asked

" Thanks to your bastard pet!" I shrieked. My face was drained from blood, and I swore I saw the hurt in his cold beaded eyes. " I'm sorry." I whispered. I wasn't really, but I memorized Genya's words filling in my head, don't disobey him, and don't act like yourself. My own self was being cold, rigid, and cruel. But there was always a piece of kindness tucked away in my heart, I think. 

" It's fine." he said with a soft voice . He studied me again, and I looked down at my dress, as something was on it. I darted my head up, and he was studying me all over. Outrageous. I stood up, feeling uncomfortable, and I spelled high up, with my chin in the air, " Is there a problem?" I said. The Darkling faced up at me, and stood up, walking towards me, as I stepped back each step faster. But he stopped, sensing my fear, and looked down at the floor cold- hearted. " No,no. I just hope you like the color black." he murmured. 

" It's not really one of my favorite colors, I suppose." I said embarrassed. His face made a happy smirk, and to my suprise, I did too. No. No. I couldn't be doing this. I couldn't be bonding with the monster that kept me here. " So? What do you want from me?" I said. Silence filled the room, a long time, and he finally spoke  up. 

" You're powerful, you know? You may be more powerful than me with your kind of abilities." he said gracefully 

" I think I've noticed that these past few days." I said, with betrayal slipping through my tongue . " What, are you gonna going to ask me to marry you now? So the whole world can hear it?! " I said, with a sneer in my voice

His face lifted up, the tension in him rises, and his back shifted, as he stood up. I didn't dare look down, but I looked straight into his eyes, so he can feel my pain. " I did what I had to say. People wouldn't want a person like you to be kept with me. Acting as my lover was the only way we could stop this war." he said. The words slipped in my mind, people like me. 

I shook my head, and he took a step towards me, when I lifted my hands, cursing my fingers around my knuckles, ready to strike. He lifted both of his hands up, and walked towards me again and said " Please, I won't hurt you in any way." he said. He walked closer and closer to me, as he was inches away from my chest. I could feel his breath breath shiny against my face, and he took my hands, pushing it against his chest, which made me wince, but I was distracted by his beautiful eyes, staring into mines. " I promise." he whispered. Then, the door slammed open, and a Grisha servant came, walking to the pots full of hot steaming food, but looked up and froze with her eyes open, when her hands released the pots. The sound crashed down vibrating and smashing against the ground, and made a big gasp, catching the sight of the Darkling's hands wrapped around mines. She bowed down to the Darkling, and apologizing, " M-master, please f-f-forgive me! I-I didn't n-notice you w-were h-h-here with th-th-this beautiful g-girl! " she yelled picking up the pots. I yanked myself from the Darkling's warm hands, my cheeks turning red, and I looked up at him, feeling shame through me. I ran up to the lady, and bended down, helping her with the ruined food splattered all over the floor, and she patted my back, cursing under her breath. " No,my sweet child! I-I'm alright d-d-dear! " she said as I glanced up at her, smiling at her warm cheeks. She seemed sweet, like the kind of woman who would make hot chocolate for her grandchildren before bed, with the fire burning over the wood, and the snow watering over the window.