Chapter 11

Darkness spreaded all over my body. I felt powerful, muscular, fearless, but most of all, Saints, I felt so powerful. I sucked all that goodness in with my shallow breath, felt my veins tighten like stone. 

The Darkling created a barrier around his protective body, shifting his fingers into shadows. He could strike back, but all he did waste his time on himself. But my question was answered with anger. He striked the power right at me, but I drained it in with my body, feeling the tension grow in me. I used his power to collect it as mine, and I wrapped it around the Darkling's throat in an instant. 

He choked, as he fell to one knee, and I only saw his face redden with the color of his blood and the veins in him thicken. I only stood there, with my nose scrunched and my eyes still. 

I wanted to leave that strap around his neck. I wanted him to suffer as I watched. But he will...in the end. I needed to control myself. I needed to become, my own, myself. Vexation decided my decision, as I let the shadows vanish from the Darkling's throat, leaving him coughing and gasping for his breath. 

" You may have me, but that does not mean you own me. " I hissed ,with one finger pierced at the center of his nape. I slipped the dagger from my pants to my palm and twirled it between my fingers, feeling the same sensation I felt as a kid. The Darkling still gasped for his breath on his knees. 

But everything disappeared. 

Only Father was in the center of the field, on his knees, smiling gracefully at little me. The grass swept against my ankles as I circled him, feeling the sharp sensation of the grass feeling like tiny blades.  My tongue tasted of the sweet salt mixing in the air, the wave of winds brushing my short hair back to my neck. 

" Hey, hop over here." Father whispered. Little me walked suspiciously toward where he knelt and caught my breath from what appeared at the center of his palms. 

A black jeweled dagger tipped at his fingers, but I whispered to him, " But I thought Mum said no more weapo- " 

Father shushed me before I could speak. " But maybe Mummy won't know, eh?" 

I chuckled and took the dagger from his hand, flipping the blade back and forth from the handle. " That's it!" laughed Father. " Now, let's see what you can do, yes? " 

I straightened myself and tightened the dagger in my hand. Father only stiffened my shoulders and corrected my posture. " Feel the power" he whispered. " Feel the heart" 

I closed my eyes, letting myself relax. " Now, listen to everything surrounding you, and only focus on that." My ears adjusted, as I listened to the nature around me. The sound of a mockingbird singing in the daylight, the leaves rustling with the branches, the grass swaying like waves from the sea-salt wind, and the chilling wind brushing my hair ba-, and until I could hear anymore, a door was slammed open. 

" What the bloody hell do you think you're doing?!" Mum yelled

I shot my eyes open with a groan and hid the dagger behind my back. 

" Oh, don't you dare hide that bloody thing behind your back, Zahra Orestev!"  As she stormed my way, grabbing my dagger from me. But I gripped it so tight, the blade slit open my palm, and blood dripped down my arm to wrist. 

" Now look what you've done! Adelard, what we're you thinking? Letting our child kill herself?! For all Saints, what did I tell you about keeping these....deadly things out of our house! " Mum stuttered

" And what did I tell you, Davina, that anyone could strike at anytime. She needs to know what's out there coming for all of us! " Father said