Reality... Or Not?

addie

I have been cleaning the house all day, doing everyone's laundry and cleaning every room in the house.

I finished cleaning the entire upstairs. The twins room was the worst, as it had their clothes thrown carelessly on the floor, food in different places.

At one point, I had stepped on a plate of soggy Ramen, gagging at the sight and feel of it.

Last weekend had been the best. Going zip lining with my best friends, watching three of them graduate on Saturday, prom.

Then, I came back to reality. Mom was on yet another business trip for a month. The longest she's taken since my dad died.

Now, the other residents of my household has turned me into their slave again: doing all the laundry, cooking, and cleaning instead of being a teenager and having a life.

I hadn't seen any of my friends in a week since I've been so busy on "more important" things.

All of us had talked through our group chat, and I've FaceTimed Hayes every night, but it isn't the same.

"ADDIE." Lillie's high-pitched voice interrupted my (not) very skillful dancing to Beyoncé in the laundry room.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT NOW?" I inwardly groan as I waited for her response.

"WHERE'S MY GREEN CROP TOP?!" The one that could fit an infant? Yeah, think so.

"IN YOUR CLOSET." I rolled my eyes, getting back to what I was doing.

"I DON'T SEE IT." her high-pitched voice hurt my ears.

"LOOK HARDER." her groan was heard clearly from where the laundry room was in the basement.

As I was stuffing more clothes in the dryer, my phone vibrated in my pocket.

I answered the FaceTime call, smiling at my boyfriend on the other side of the screen.

"Hey beautiful." I set my phone on the washer, going back to what I was doing.

"Hey." I grunted from the heavy pile of wet clothes.

"Cleaning?" I nodded. "They need to stop working you. They can't do this all month."

"We're supposed to go to Florida tomorrow." I wanted to cry, knowing we may not be going after all.

"I know baby. Maybe you could call your mom and ask?"

"It's a possibility." My shoulders shrugged, voice low.

"Don't let them get to you. Tomorrow the two of us will be down at the beach together, no worries. Okay?"

"Okay gorgeous." I grinned, going over to the couch that was down here and literally falling down on it.

Hayes and I talked for as long as we were able to. I snuck upstairs and packed my bag for the week we'll be at the beach since I called my mom and she said yes, thankfully.

It was now nine o'clock and I am already exhausted. I've been cleaning this house since six this morning.

I laid down in my ever-so-comfortable bed and closed my eyes, drifting off to sleep, ready for tomorrow to come.

***

Just standing in front of the sink, my finger gushing blood while I'm being yelled at to make food faster. No big deal.

It's 11:00 a.m. and Lillie woke me up, forcing me to go downstairs and make her a smoothie and French toast.

As I was cutting up the fruit for the smoothie, the knife just decided to slip and cut a piece of my skin off. Delightful.

"Hurry up." her whine was the last thing I wanted to hear.

"Just eat your freaking French toast and wait for your stupid smoothie." I said as nice as I could under these circumstances.

I managed to make it stop bleeding and put a bandage on it before finishing the whining teenager's smoothie.

I rushed up the stairs before she could say anything else and changed into my outfit for the road trip.

I struggled doing two French braided pigtails with my hair, but finally managed.

I pulled my black and white striped crop top down, adjusting my ripped black shorts.

My phone buzzed, showing that Hayes texted me, saying he would be over in ten minutes.

I tied the laces to my second maroon converse, standing up and taking my duffle bag downstairs.

My purse and beach bag were on the bench next to the front door, awaiting for the time where I will take them to the car.

The doorbell rang, making me jump in excitement. I opened it up, engulfing my boyfriend into a hug.

His arms snaked around my waist, pulling me closer. I pulled back, granting him a quick kiss on the lips before smiling.

"Ready?" I nodded, grabbing all my stuff.

"I'm gone!" I yelled to no one in particular, slamming the door shut behind me.

Hayes and I put all our stuff in my trunk and hopped in the car, backing out of my driveway.

"What did you do to your finger?" Hayes asked from the driver's seat.

"Making Lillie her stupid breakfast." I mumbled. He nodded understandingly, already taking my hand in his.

For most of the car ride, our joint hands sat still on Hayes' knee as we talked about different things.

It was already ten by the time we got to my grandparent's beach house. The two of us brought everything in, deciding not to do anything tonight as we were worn out from the drive down.

I sat up on the counter in the kitchen, watching Hayes carry his bag to the master bedroom.

Seconds later, he came back to the main room where the kitchen and living room are.

Hayes walked over towards where I was sitting on the counter, walking in between my legs.

"I wish everyone else could have come, but I love time to ourself." his faced inched closer and closer towards mine.

"Me too." Our foreheads were perched upon one another, noses touching.

Deciding to lean in, my lips found their way to his. Having a slight make out session, I gave him one last kiss before sliding off the counter and into the bedroom.

I smiled to myself at the moment we just had while I changed into a saggy pair of sweatpants and a small t-shirt, lying down next to a now shirtless Hayes.

My leg found it's way across his lap as we cuddled underneath the cozy comforter, the only sound in the room was the waves crashing from outside the window.

As we drifted off, neither one of us said anything, too satisfied with the quietness and humbleness of the room.

It was like we were in another world, away from reality. No families to watch over or clean for. No one to bother us. It was just us.

Exactly how I like it.

~

Insomnia sucks.

So. So. Bad.

UGHHH.

But it does mean I can update for y'all, so there's one good thing out of it.

QOTD: number one thing on your bucket list
AOTD: travel the world

xx

🌻