17.6

ALMOST A YEAR LATER

ALMOST A YEAR LATER

Carrie and the twins are over at Brian's and Mia's for their monthly barbecue dinner.
"What do you think of this?" Brian asks as he shakes a rattle toy, that Carrie had got for Jack, in front of him.
"He likes it," Carrie says with a smile.
"Or this?" Brian asks as he holds a toy skyline car in front of Jack, who reaches for it.
"That's not fair," Carrie says with an eye roll. "You can't just wave a car in front of a Toretto and not expect them to take it."
"Yes, it is fair because he is an O'Conner," Brian says as he looks at Mia and Carrie with a victorious smile causing Mia to smile. "That's my boy. All right, lets see how this thing flies." Brian throws a paper airplane before Dom pulls up in front of where the paper plane lands. "It's Uncle Dom. What do you know? Are you waving?"
"Hey Jack," Dom says with a smile as he gets out of the car.
"Uncle Dom!" Amelia and Jackson call before running over to him, giving him a hug. Dom gives them each a remote control car, causing Carrie to smile and shake her head.
"What's up, Uncle Dom?" Brian says for Jack as he waves Jack's hand around.
"Are you already pushing imports on him?" Dom asks as he sees the toy skyline.
"You say, 'Dad's not pushing anything.' He chose that car," Brian says as he looks at Dom, who has kneeled in front of them.
"We know he's an O'Conner, but I brought you something Jack," Dom says with a smirk as he holds out a toy Dodge Charger to him. Jack starts reaching for the car. "Yeah! He's also a Toretto."
"I don't know," Brian says as he takes the car from Dom.
"Luckily, he has a couple more years to decide, right?" Mia says with a smile as she looks at Jack.
"I think he decided, Mia," Dom says as Jack plays with the car.
"I think it's time for his nap," Mia says as she takes Jack from Brian before going inside with Carrie and the twins. Brian grabs some beers for him and Dom before they sit in some lawn chairs.
"It's weird, huh?" Brian asks as Dom takes a drink of his beer.
"What's weird?" Dom asks him back.
"We got everything. You know, down to the beer and the barbecue. But it's just..." Brian says with a chuckle and a shake of his head. "I don't know, it just doesn't feel like home. Maybe it's because, uh, you don't realize how much you appreciate something until someone takes it away. I don't know. The place has probably changed so much, you wouldn't even recognize it anymore."
"Yeah. Everything's changed," Don says in agreement.
"So what's up with you? What's going on?" Brian questions them. Dom sighs before he hands Brian the envelope that Hobbs had given him.
"Taken a week ago," Dom says as Brian opens the envelope as Mia and Carrie walk outside.
"Diplomatic Security Service. Hobbs," Brian says before pulling out the picture and looking at it. "You know, I used to do this shit all the time as a cop. This is exactly what cops do. He's messing with your head. Letty's dead."
"I need to know for sure," Dom tells him.
"Then I'm going with you," Brian states causing Dom to shake his head.
"You said you were going to leave this life behind," Dom tells him sternly.
"We all said that we were leaving the life behind," Brian argues with him.
"He's right," Carrie says as she and Mia walk over, having been listening in on their conversation from the porch. "We're family. If we have a problem, we deal with it together."
"She's right," Mia says with a nod. "And I'll feel safer knowing you're both out there, watching each other's backs. You're stronger together. You always were. Now go get Letty. Bring her home."

TWO WEEKS LATER

Mia, Carrie, and Elena decided to take the kids outside for a walk

Mia, Carrie, and Elena decided to take the kids outside for a walk. As they walk around front they see a black rover driving up the driveway.
"Go!" Elena orders Mia and Carrie as she grabs her gun. Mia starts running to the back of the house with Jack in her arms as Carrie follows her with Amelia and Jackson in her arms as Elena follows behind her. Elena jumps down from the wall before Mia passes Jack down to her. Carrie hears Vegh and Klaus coming as she passes Amelia down to Elena before quickly passing Jackson down. "Come on."
"Go," Carrie tells Elena and Mia.
"No!" Elena tries before Carrie takes off running back towards the house. Vegh chases Carrie through the house before Carrie runs into Klaus, who grabs her. Vegh points a gun at Mia, who had followed Carrie inside.

"Hey, Toretto!" Hobbs yells as he escorts Owen and his crew into the room. "You need to hear this." Dom stands in front of Hobbs and Owen before the team stands behind him.
"You guys really think you've won," Owen says as he looks around at the team. "The code you live by, it's the very reason why you weren't even in the game." Owen then stares at Dom. "I told you exactly what I was gonna do if you didn't walk away, Toretto. But you didn't listen. I told you I can reach out and break you whenever I want. And I have. Maybe you should call sweet Mia and fiery Carrie." Brian glances at Dom worriedly before grabbing his cellphone.
"Mia?" Brian asks once the phone is answered.
"Brian!" Mia yells as Carrie yells "Dom!" When the phone is raised towards them. Brian quickly runs forward before punching Owen in the face. The Commander quickly grabs Owen as Tej pulls Brian. Owen spits out blood before he chuckles.
"So, this is how it's gonna go down," Owen says as he looks at Dom. "You're gonna cut me loose from these cuffs, you're gonna hand me the chip, I'm gonna walk out of here and you're not gonna follow."
"You must be joking," The Commander states as he glares at Owen.
"Look at his face," Owen says as he steps in front of Dom. "Ask him if I'm joking."
"Two hostages do not outweigh the threat to millions," The Commander argues as he walks over to them. "I'm sorry, but this changes nothing." Hobbs quickly pulls out his gun before pointing it at The Commander's head. The soldiers quickly raise their guns as Dom motions for the team not to pull theirs.
"It changes everything," Hobbs tells the Commander causing Dom to look over at him. "You tell your men to stand down."
"Stand down," The Commander orders.
"Toretto," Hobbs says before looking at him. "I need you to know, the moment we let him walk out that door with that chip, words like 'amnesty' and 'pardon' walk out with him."
"Those words went out the day we were born," Dom tells him as he turns to glare at Owen. Hobbs motions for Riley to uncuff Shaw's team. Owen starts walking away before he turns back to them.
"Coming, babe?" Owen asks causing a few people to look at Letty.
"Of course," Riley says with a smile. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."
"Like I said," Owen says as Riley grabs his hand. "You were never in the game. If I see you on the horizon, I'll make the call and the girls are dead." Owen and his team walk out as Dom glares after them.