chapter fourty six - the christmas flight

The jets fired up, the wheels started spinning and the plane sped up across the grey tarmac and slowly starting ascending into the air leaving the early morning of Los Angeles behind. Early risers in their cars crawled through the veins of LA below them as the pale blue sky sat sleepily above them with the bright sun just peeking over the hills. Gentle waves rolled into the beaches and you could spot the occasional morning swimmer in the waves with the lifeguards hut just a speck on the cool sand.

In the plane, Maddie chewed her gum furiously trying to pop her ears at the high altitude trying to distract herself by focussing intently on whatever Rose was babbling on about. Around her, the marvel cast were laughing and joking and the festivities carried throughout the plane. Although it was very early morning, the Christmas spirit was definitely there. Scarlett and Lizzie were curled up together at the front of the plane watching home alone 3 and making fun of Scarlett; Rose was running around with Roberts kids asking multiple questions at lightning speed before running off again for food or to watch a split second of a movie and then get distracted again. Willow was fast asleep sprawled over the two seats opposite the love birds and Robert, Florence, Chris E and Susan sat a bit further back chatting and laughing at some joke they had made.
Around Christmas time this was always the group that came together. Robert didn't see his family often so every other year he'd spend Christmas with Scarlett and the gang and every other year he'd sped it with Susan's family. The Evans and Johansson families always spent Christmas Day together as over the years of Scarlett and Chris working together the families had grown very close so Christmas was always a day to brung everyone together in NYC. Lizzie tended to come over Boxing Day, but this year she'd come for Christmas instead and this was the same with Florence.

Sat at the back of the plane on her own, Maddie was trying to distract herself from the flight. Last time she had flown, she had had Scarlett with her but now, Scarlett was with Lizzie, and Maddie was on her own...not to throw any shade at Scarlett. Also, the last time she had been on a plane, Maddie had been flying away from the awful life she had lived and to a new hopeful future but this time the plane was flying directly to the city which had once brought her a childhood of sorrow and loneliness. However, with Happier than Ever blasting through Maddie's headphones, she texted Lynn, saying her final goodbye and that she'd see them after the Christmas before she tried to drop off and forget about the flying.

"Hey sweetie, darling we're here" Maddie drearily opened her eyes to see who was waking her up and to adjust to her surroundings. Focusing her eyes on the figure in front, she could see Scarlett standing next to her I'm the isle gently waking her up.
"Huh.?"
"We're here in New York...for Christmas Eve" Scarlett could see a smile creep across Maddie's face at the news of Christmas Eve.
"Yeah yep yep I'm up I'm up" Maddie said yawning and smiling at Scarlett. She stood up and stretched before grabbing her rucksack and following Chris out the plane with Scarlett close behind.
The sharp and cold air nipped Maddie's nose as she walked down the steps from the plane and across the tarmac. She had almost forgotten how cold it could be in New York even though she had literally lived here her whole life - she was now so used to LAs heat. Tiny snowflakes started floating down from the clouds above creating a white dusting across the airport whilst the group regrouped and made their way inside

Maddie knew that the gang arriving at the airport would be a massive deal but as she went through security she suddenly noticed the swarm of paparazzi outside. Oh god. Someone had definitely leaked that they were coming. Looking around she could see the slight fear that the group held in their eyes as they also had just spotted the needless flashing of cameras awaiting their pray outside. With no hesitation, Maddie quickly threw her hood up and grabbed Rose and Willows hand and sped through the airport in front of the group. Florence also chucked her hood up and beanie on and ran after them - seeing as she wasn't as famous as the others she managed to get away unseen and quickly caught up the three children heading towards a secluded corner of the airport next to the entrance.
"What are you doing??" Willow hissed at Maddie, confused at this sudden hurry.
"Did you not see the cameras back there!!?"
"No...."
"How?? Dude literally how!?"
"There were hundreds of them" Florence said carrying Rose breaking up the tiny bicker that would break out between the two cousins. "Luckily I can get away with it but your parents not so much. The main priority is to get the kids out as it can always be damaging and scary for them. Susan managed to sneak round the crowd with the Downey kids through the other exit so they're okay"
"Avri and Exton aren't okay?!" Rose panicked suddenly picking up on the conversation.
"What no honey. They're fine luckily. Your moms gonna be out in a second with uncle Robert and Avri and Exton yeah?"
"Oh okay" Rose said relieved that her two friends were okay.
"Damn I really forgot this group was famous huh" willow said with a laugh. They had been with Chris now for a month or so but they hadn't been with him long enough to experience the big group fame.
"Yepppp. When the cast get together in public it's messy af" Maddie said laughing as well.
"Language Miss Maddie Blaire"
"Oop sorry flo. Rose you didn't hear it did you"
Rose innocently looked away pouting and smirking indicating she indeed had heard the curse but wouldn't get Maddie in trouble.

The small group stood just inside the airport avoiding the snow that was starting to come down heavily waiting for the group and the cars that would be needed to drive up to Scarletts childhood house. The house was located north of the city near Scarletts newer house in Snedens Landing and it had always been a tradition to go there for Christmas with Rose and Chris even now when at least ten people would come with Scarlett, I mean it wasn't as if the house couldn't take the guests, the home was made up of many many bedrooms and bathrooms, a massive kitchen and dining room perfect for the Christmas meal plus games rooms and endless amounts of land around. The house was perfect for a huge Christmas's get together.

After standing around for a bit longer, Scarlett, Rob, Chris, and Lizzie rushed out the airport sheltered by security catching the kids and Florence and bustling them all towards the awaiting cars and cramming everyone in in a flurry of coats and snow. There were three cars and everyone was spread out pretty evenly into family groups. The Johanssons
plus Florence in the front car, Chris, Willow and Lizzie in the car behind and the Downeys in the last car. Once everyone was in, the cars sped off leaving any remaining paparazzi covered in snow and fume with the prey already far away down the road.
"Hey babies I'm so sorry about that mess back there" Scarlett started "I didn't realise there would be so many of them there I should've really thought more about it and maybe sent you guys on ahead. I thought we had payed for better security as well..." she trailed off.
"Na it's fine mum don't worry, I mean I've kind of got to get used to it but I just guess I genuinely didn't think there were so many! Like how do the airport allow them in anyway?!"
"I don't know mads I really don't but it should be made illegal, it's so damaging to celebrities travelling with families because I know I signed up for this life but you guys didn't. Also I completely forgot about your fear of flying and I'm so sorry for not sitting with you. I guess I thought you'd be sitting with willow or someone but you weren't and I just should've really remembered. So yeah, I'm sorry that this trip so far has been a bit stressful but once we're there and you've met the whole family you'll absolutely love it"
"Omg yeah I can't wait to meet everyone! and also don't worry about me. I slept most of the time and I know you have more important things to deal with"
"Nothings more important than my family love. I just should've thought the whole of today through better."
With Maddie curled up on one side of a very thoughtful Scarlett and with Rose curled up against Florence, the car cruised through the snowy streets of New York City and out into the smaller towns and country.

Yo. I know loads of this chapter is factually incorrect but it's gonna fit better if Scarletts family home was outside the city instead of at the heart of it.