chapter fourty four - reunited

Two thirty rolled around as Maddie scrambled to get ready. Her makeup was done to perfection, outfit was picked out and hair done, all she had to do was grab a few last things and head off. Maddie hadn't been to school for the past two days but this afternoon she was going to surprise Lynn, Olive and James at the end of the day. Hopefully they'd be free after school and they could do something fun. Also, this would be a great opportunity to see school again before being thrown back into it straight away.
Chucking everything into a tote bag, Maddie ran and slid down the hallway nearly hitting Rose (who was now back at home) before grabbing her converse and as quickly as possible untying them.
"Mummmmm"
"Shhhhhh Maddie be quite! Mummy's in a meeting silly shush!" Rose angrily said as she held her little fingers to her lips. "No talking!"
"Oop sorry baby i didn't realise. Do you know where Florence is then?" - Maddie made sure to whisper this time
"Flo flos in the pantry doin da washing"
"Thank you Ro"
Maddie quietly got up and silently crept past Scarletts office into the pantry. Florence usually babysat Rose when Scarlett had meetings or any work thing and Maddie wasn't around. Well it was either Florence or Lizzie but at the moment Lizzie was in nyc - she had left last night.
"Hey mads"
"Hey is it alright if I go out for a few hours?"
"I don't know. Have you asked your mum?"
"I told her last night but I don't know if she remembered and she's on a call right now"
"Well I mean it's okay with me darling as long as you're back before six"
"Six is perfect thanks. I'm just going to the school and then hanging out with Lynn for a bit"
"Okay. Have fun Maddie" Florence said winking and letting out her adorably weird laugh. Everyone knew about Maddie's little crush so at this point she didn't even get annoyed she just rolled her eyes and smirked before rushing out the house and catching the bus to the school.

After a ten minute cold damp and not very enjoyable bus ride, Maddie arrived outside the school just as the Freshmen were being let out.  The cool winter sun shone down on the crisp grass surrounding the school with the contrast of the empty and bare trees giving the whole school a dystopian atmosphere. However, the minute that Maddie saw a pink head of hair bobbing in the crowds everything melted away. The sounds of the other students disappeared, the smell of petrol and cold went and all Maddie could focus on was Lynn.
Before she had clocked what was happening she was running. The blood in her veins pumping harder and harder carrying her further and further to the bubblegum hair. 15 metres. 10 metres. 5 metres. Lynn had spotted Maddie and started running, both closing the gap and they leapt into each other's arms squealing and laughing.
"Omg omg-"
"Babe-"
"I've missed-"
"Stop I literally-"
"You so much ahhh-"
"ugh I missed you-"
A gibberish of incoherent words tumbled out as the pair reunited. They melted into each as they just stood their in each other's embrace comforting each other and getting lost in the others comforting smell and touch. Although they'd only been apart a week or so Maddie didn't know if she'd ever see any of them again - especially Lynn. Maddie hadn't let them know where she was going - as she didn't know herself - and since she had been home she hadn't texted anyone back as she wanted this to be a complete surprise.

For Lynn, losing Maddie was unimaginable. One day she has been there and the next she hadn't, no message no phone call, nothing. Lynn has already let too many people go in her life and as it was finally getting better, her favourite person had disappeared.
As the pair pulled apart lynns face change though.
"NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! DO NOT EVER LEAVE WITHOUT TELLING ME! I THOUGHT I HAD LOST YOU AND I COILDNR HAVE DEALT WITH THAT. WE THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!" Lynn shouted before grabbing Maddie's hand and kissing them.
"I'm sorry...I only knew a few hours before and I...I I didn't really think anyone would mind. I used to move around so often I'm used to it and used to people not caring."
"I MIND BITCH! I MINDED! I MINDED WE ALL DID!"
"Im sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry babe but I promise I'm not leaving again. I'm not leaving you" Maddie whispered leaning in for a kiss as their lips melted into each other's. As they pulled apart they stood there for a few seconds with their foreheads pressed together just happy to be in each other's company.

However, the peace was soon ruined when Maddie felt herself pulled backwards and yanked into a massive hug from Olive but soon followed but James.
"Dude we've missed you so much, especially them!!" Olive said nodding towards a blushing Lynn.
"I meannn......have we?" James said jokingly before earning a hard kick from Olive and him changing his mind very quickly and pulling Maddie into another hug.
"I've missed you guys so much as well. I'm never leaving again and I promise that. Also I was also wondering if anyone's around after school to go to the hills and find a cafe somewhere....?"
"OBVIOUSLY YES"
"I think I am yeah!"
"Yep I have nothing planned"
"Perfect!"

The rest of the afternoon was filled with catching up, lots of laughs and lots of sappy lovesick moments between the two love birds. The four had dropped their bags off at Maddie's and then headed up to find a suitable cafe for the cooler weather. After a short bus drive and a short walk, they found themselves in a cozy little cafe in a row of houses and shops. The place had dim lighting suiting the dusk outside and deep colours making it feel very Harry Potter like. In the window sat a little dog that thoroughly enjoyed the presence of all the customers and especially warmed up the James to the extent that he came and sat on his lap. The warm atmosphere made everyone feel very safe and warm and soon they had drifted into deep conversations which would last hours.