chapter fourty two - rain

Maddie awoke to heavy rain hitting her glass doors and Willows gentle breath on her cheek. Stretching, Maddie detangled herself from the sleeping person next to her. Over night they must have crept closer to each other and eventually ended up practically on top of each other.
As Maddie climbed out of bed, she wasn't sure what time it was as the sky was a dark grey and the heavy rain blocked out any sight of the sun. After quickly grabbing a jumper, Maddie quietly made her way out of her bedroom and down the darkened hallway to the warm and welcoming family room. Around the kitchen island sat Scarlett, Chris and Lizzie all sipping coffee and discussing something which looked pretty serious from the interested facial expressions.
"Hey guys...." Maddie announced, not wanting to intrude on some private conversation that she wasn't supposed to hear.
"Good morning Mads! You're finally up baby! You must have been exhausted to able to sleep for ten hours!"
"Ten hours? Jeez what time is it?!"
"It's like midday...you can't really tell from the sun outside though." Chris said chuckling.
You really couldn't, the sky was so dark you would probably think it was early morning or late evening. Not midday in December. The weather did enhance the atmosphere inside the house though. Heat radiated from the fire as it slowly burned and crackled in the corner; lamps around the room were lit, letting out a warm glow adding to the safe and cozy environment.
"The weathers really not matching my vibe. Like it's my first day back and it's tipping it down with rain meaning I literally won't be able to meet up with anyone. Wait what day is it even?" Maddie heard Lizzie's laugh behind her coffee cup. "What!? I genuinely don't know!"
"I know I know it's just funny I don't know why. But um yeah it's Wednesday today I think."
"It's Wednesday?! Shouldn't I be in school?"
"Seriously. Maddie you're thinking about school right now? You odd child" Scarlett said.
"Yeah well.....have my friends texted me at all do you know?"
"I know that the neighbour said a pink haired girl came round to check if anyone was in but that's all I've heard" Chris said innocently whilst Maddie blushed furiously.
"Oh um she did?" Maddie caught Scarlett whispering to Lizzie out the corner of her eye and them both smirking. "Mommmm don't...!! Shsuhhhh!"
"Oh love I'm not doing anything! But if you wanna know if anyone's texted you you're phones over there"
Maddie skulked over to the counter top glaring at her mum before grabbing her phone and curling up on the couch to check any notifications.

14 notifications from:
bubblegum bitch💗📿🎀: where tf are you?
bubblegum bitch💗📿🎀: istg I've called you like twenty times
bubblegum bitch💗📿🎀: maddie this isn't funny. i'm coming round
bubblegum bitch💗📿🎀: no ones here. MADDIE WHERE ARE YOU
bubblegum bitch💗📿🎀: your neighbour said you'd been gone since friday. is that why u didn't come it to school? i'm acc worried now where are you?
martini🍸🫒🫒: hey just checking in. you haven't been in school recently and lynns freaking out. idk if you'll see this but if you do and somethings happening please talk to us, we're here to listen to you and help. please text back.
JAMEY: MADDIE LYNNS FREAKINF OUT AND IDK WHAT TO DO. PLEASE CALL HER BACK. WE NEED HELP WITH HERRRRR.
JAMEY: SHES JUST HIT MEEEEE. HELP USSSS
missed call from bubblegum bitch💗📿🎀

Maddie couldn't help but smirk at her ridiculous friends. They were so dramatic.
Soon after Maddie had replied to all her friends (not giving them the full story, she could do that when they actually met up) Willow had walked in, half asleep and very confused. Together the pair had breakfast, got ready for the day and then had been called back into the kitchen and had been sat down at the dining table. Maddie knew that when they sat at the dining table they'd be there for awhile and it was probably going to be quite a formal conversation. With everyone seated, Scarlett started.
"Okay let me start. First off, I want everyone's honest opinion in this conversation otherwise it just won't work. So the first thing is, this morning us three have contacted the police, social services, the Fredricksons, your foster agencies and many lawyers. The main priority in all of those phone calls was about your twos safety. The last thing we want is for you two to feel unsafe and we want to promise that you'll never be taken away from us again. To make sure that you guys are safe, we have asked...we...I've asked to a....adopt Maddie. Now Maddie I know we've talked about this and I would love to be your forever mom"
"Yes...yes yes yes yes" Maddie squealed trying to hide back tears.
"And now for you Willow" Chris said. "Your situation is very...different because obviously you are currently adopted by Jenny and Benji but it's a very unsafe environment. So I was wondering if....you would feel comfortable staying with me for the next few weeks whilst everything's getting sorted. And, if things work out then -if you want- I can foster you?"
"Dude yes of course! As long as I get to have dodger in my room at night!"
"Ooo already setting up rules now are we?" Lizzie said laughing.
"I need to get my priorities straight!"
"Fair enough babe"
"That's sorted then! Adoption papers requested. Foster papers we can do this afternoon! And apart from that we have nothing else planned today. Chill! Sleep! Do whatever you want! You're home!"
Scarlett jumped up from the table and wrapped Maddie and Willow in a massive hug before smothering them in kisses and repeating I love you into the tops of their heads.